[Volunteers] OVP Weekly Volunteer Opportunity E-mail (11/03/03)

Brian Stephen Dubina dubina at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 3 14:45:48 CST 2003

Good Day!

Table of Contents:

1.  Earn Class Credit While Volunteering
2.  Make Volunteering Your Career!! -- Public Interest Research Group
3.  Connecting the Community Online -- Computer Assistance Needed
4.  Give a Child a Smile-Holiday Toy Drive -- Office of Volunteer Programs
5.  Charles Dickens Festival Volunteers Meeting -- Prairie Players
6.  Help the Salvation Army Help Others -- Salvation Army

***

1.  LINC, a 3-hr course, is open to undergraduates in ALL colleges, ALL
majors, and ALL years.  If you are the type of person that wants to make a
difference in someone's life and are willing to do something about it, then
this course is for you.  Work with TIMES Center or Cunningham Children's Home
or the Swann School for children with disabilities or any one of 9 other
partnering agencies.
LINC: Learning in Community listed as ENG 199, Section LNC; LAS 199, Section
LNC
You can add this class by going to U of I Direct; Select Discussion section by
choosing Community Agency you want to work with. Contact Ann Finnegan with
questions (244-3833; abfinngn at uiuc.edu)
Tuesdays 3-4 pm & Thursdays 3-5 pm
(Satisfies "Other SS/H" for COEng students)
See www.linc.uiuc.edu for more information.

2.  The state Public Interest Research Group (the state PIRGs) are a
nation-wide network of state-based public interest advocacy groups. This year
we are hiring 150 graduating college students to work on: solving our energy
problems; protecting our national forests; reforming the campaign finance
system; cleaning up our air; safeguarding individuals from identity theft; and
many other public interest issues.  For more information I invite you to check
out our website www.pirg.org/jobs, or send an email at: dankohler at pirg.org

3.  United Way, Mental Health Board, City of Urbana, City of Champaign and
Champaign County Community Foundation are all looking for volunteers to help
create an online database of all the programs which are funded by these
organizations.  If you are good with computers and would like to assist in
this project contact Bill Conlin at 217-367-5703 or bill at ccmhb.org

4.  Want to help bring a smile to a child's face this holiday season?
Participate in the HOLIDAY TOY DRIVE! Gifts will be sent to children at The
Pavilion, CU Special Recreation, and Healthy Young Families.  You will get a
child and the type of toy that they need (all under $15). For more information
about sponsoring a child, contact Lindsay Baran at lbaran at uiuc.edu.

5.  On Sunday, November 9th, Prairie Players will be hosting a volunteer's
meeting from 2 pm - 4 pm in The Franz Josef Room of the Historic Lincoln Hotel
(formerly Jumers Castle) which located next to the Lincoln Square Mall
R.S.V.P. 351-3464.  The meeting is for the Charles Dickens Festival (see
below).

Prairie Players is sponsoring a Charles Dickens Festival for the first weekend
in December (4 & 5), 2003. The festival will be held at the Historic Lincoln
Hotel. We are seeking volunteers, story-tellers, actors, singers, dancers,
musicians and merchants. The Dickens Festival is an interactive event where
the performers and participants engage with the patrons. Actors will portray
various characters from Dickens books and present small vignettes scenes
throughout the hotel. Singers and dancers will perform traditional songs and
dances of the Victorian era. Throughout the hotel there will be carolers,
puppet shows, story tellers, children craft area, toy shop, candy shop, etc.
Merchants selling their wares: Victorian clothing, accessories, perfumes,
oils, soaps, candles, chocolate, fans, books and the list goes on. Volunteers
are needed to assist with the children's craft area, gift wrap, cloak room,
silent auction, carolers, strolling minstrels, telegram runners, parlor games,
and much, much, more. If interested in participating please contact: JoMarie
Dugan at 351-3464 or email her at dickensfest at msn.com (Please include phone
number in e-mails.  Our e-mail system is having problems sending e-mails to U
of I)

6. Salvation Army needs some major help right now. They are in need of sorting
and boxing clothing for their thrift shop. Whatever time you are available
will work for them.  They are willing to set up a time that is convenient for
your schedule. They need both groups and individuals to assist with these
tasks. If you are interested, call Donna Rose at 373-7832.

Thirsting for other volunteer opportunities? Check out www.cuvolunteer.org
for 250+ others.

Tell them the Office of Volunteer Programs sent you,

--Sascha Meinrath & Brian Dubina
Office of Volunteer Programs

Phone#: 333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Office: 277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp