[Volunteers] OVP Weekly Volunteer Opportunity E-mail (3/01/04)

Brian Stephen Dubina dubina at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 1 09:15:47 CST 2004

Good Morning!

Table of Contents:

1.  Camp Director – Thomasboro School
2.  Girl Scouts – Green Meadows Council
3.  Show off your talents – Champaign County Nursing Home
4.  Strikes and Spares bowling – C-U Special Recreation
5.  B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name O! – Champaign County Nursing Home
6.  Community Splash Begin to Swim Program –YMCA
7.  Special Olympics Swim meet – Special Olympics Area 8
8.  Build up the Church through building a church – New House of Prayer
***

1.  Thomasboro School in Thomasboro is looking for individuals to help out
with the Spring Break Camp at the school.  Volunteers will assist coordinator
with craft, movement, cooking and other fun activities. Thomasboro students
have the opportunity to attend camp during Spring Break.  The times volunteers
are needed include Mar 15, 2004 (8:00-3:00), Mar 16, 2004 (8:00-3:00), Mar 16,
2004 (8:00-3:00), Mar 17, 2004 (8:00-3:00), Mar 18, 2004 (8:00-3:00).  If
interested or you have any questions, contact Lisa Comstock at (217) 643-3275

2.  Girl Scouts need your help! You can help us by helping yourself. How? You
can enhance your Mentoring, Management, Leadership, Teaching Youth and Adults,
Marketing, Public Relations, Technical, Computer, Web, or Organizational
Skills! You can help keep in touch with our hundreds of leaders and thousands
of Girl Scouts! You can help with computers and technology! You can help keep
up with what's going on in our Champaign, Ford, Douglas, Piatt, Iroquois, and
Vermilion Area! You can help Girls Grow Strong! If you have a Knack for
Finances, an Interest in computers and technology, Enjoy working with youth,
like to build your Leadership and Managerial Skills, or if you simply know
what is going on in your community.... Girl Scouts is the place for you! We
have one time and ongoing positions for WOMEN AND MEN - concerned citizens -
over the age of 18! Email us at deborah at greenmead-grlsct.org & let us know
what YOU WANT TO DO!!

3.  The Champaign County Nursing Home is looking for volunteers to assist with
their St. Patrick’s Day party on Wednesday, March 17th from 2 to 3:30.  Want
to show off your Irish penny whistle skills or your dancing and singing skills
to our residents? Call today to sign up and show them a good ol' Irish time.
Contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 384-3784

4.  Can you get a strike? Or do you get gutter balls? Either way we could use
your skills at our C-U Special Recreation Strikes and Spares. We have many
athletics in our Wednesday afternoon bowling program and we need help! Bowling
is from 4:00 - 5:15 every Wednesday from now until April 21. We bowl at GT's
Western Bowl, which is on Francis Drive in Champaign. You would help athletics
take their turn at bowling, assist with ramp bowlers by getting their balls
ready on the ramp for them, or by simply cheering on the athletics! No special
abilities required, just the motivation to have fun and help our athletics
have fun also!  Contact Kathy Stiebner at cusr.volunteers at cparkdistrict.com or
398-2374

5.  The Champaign County Nursing home is looking for volunteers to help out
with the Saturday Bingo games.  These events last from 1:45 to 3:30 pm. every
Saturday.  Help a senior win a "bingo" prize. This is probably their residents
’ most favorite game to play all week. Contact Kalah McGraw at 384-3784

6. The YMCA is looking for volunteers to help with the YMCA Community Splash -
Begin to Swim Program.  This takes place March 22-25 Volunteers needed to help
teach classes and water safety to children ages 3-12 who have no formal
swimming class background.  The times include 4:15, 6:00, 6:45, and 7:15.  You
must be comfortable working in the water to help. Contact Sarah Westhoff for
more information or to help at 239-2815 or sarah at ccymca.net

7. The Urbana Indoor Aquatics Center will be hosting the Area 8 Special
Olympics Swim competition.  Volunteers are needed to help with the event,
including registration, time keeping, and concessions.    The event takes
place on March 27th from 9am to 4pm.  Two-hour shifts will rotate throughout
the day.  Contact Ellen with the Urbana Park District at 367-1536 or
erkirsanoff at urbanaparks.org or Georgeann Kulton with Special Olympics at
217-355-1750 or gkulton at soill.org.

8. New House of Prayer in Champaign is looking for volunteers to help restore
an old church back to functional use.  The church was abandoned a while ago
and became a hang out for illegal drug pushing and other behaviors.
Volunteers are needed to help paint, clean, repair, plaster, perhaps build a
ramp, and whatever else needs to be done to fix the building.  If interested,
contact Pastor Lockett at 344-7039 or on his cell phone, 355-5764

Thirsting for other volunteer opportunities? Check out www.cuvolunteer.org
for 250+ others.

Tell them the Office of Volunteer Programs sent you,

--Sascha Meinrath & Brian Dubina
Office of Volunteer Programs

Phone#: 333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Office: 277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp