[Volunteers] OVP Weekly Volunteer Opportunity E-mail (3/15/04)

Brian Stephen Dubina dubina at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 15 09:09:11 CST 2004

Good Morning!

Table of Contents:

1.  Special Olympics Swim meet – Urbana Indoor Aquatics Center
2.  Keep Library Materials Functional – Champaign Public Library
3.  Share Your Cooking Skills – Provena Behavioral Health
4.  That Dorm Room Garden Not Working right? – CWIT
5.  Carnival – Carrie Busey Elementary School
6.  Tech Support – Matthew House
7.  Bike-A-Thon Coordinator – St. Jude Children’s Hospital
8.  Bocce Ball Coach – C-U Special Recreation
9.  Champaign-Urbana Family Week 2004
10. Children’s Museum chaperones needed – C-U Special Recreation
***

1.  The Urbana Indoor Aquatics Center will be hosting the Area 8 Special
Olympics Swim competition.  Volunteers are needed to help with the event,
including registration, time keeping, and concessions.    The event takes
place on March 27th from 9am to 4pm.  Two hour shifts will rotate throughout
the day.  Contact Ellen with the Urbana Park District at 367-1536 or
erkirsanoff at urbanaparks.org or Georgeann Kulton with Special Olympics at
217-355-1750 or gkulton at soill.org.

2.  Volunteers will improve the appearance of the library collections by
relabeling and recovering books. Evaluate the condition of books in a
specified collection to determine whether relabeling or recovering is needed.
Apply labels and label protectors to books. Apply Mylar dust jackets to books.
They can also use the Azuradisc DVD/CD repair machine.  The volunteer will
repair scratched and damaged DVDs. Evaluate the condition of the DVDs/CDs and
their packaging to help determine whether further repair or replacement are
needed.  Contact Judie Christensen at 403-2076

3.  Share your love of cooking! Prepare a meal for a Healthy Young Families
support group! Volunteers prepare a meal in their home, and drop it off at the
group meeting site. A wonderful opportunity for a large group who would like
to volunteer together.  Contact Anna Langford at
alangford at provenabehavioralhealth.org or 398-8080 for more information.

4.  The Center for Women in Transition (CWIT) would like to create small
garden plots to grow flowers and vegetables. We want to make this an
educational experience for the women and children. Please apply by early
spring.  Contact John Phillips at 352-7151 if you want to get down and dirty .
. . in the garden.

5.  Carrie Busey Elementary School is in need of volunteers for our elementary
school carnival.  It is a night of great fun for our students from
Kindergarten to 5th grade. Our greatest need is for volunteers to run the
various games (collect tickets, explain game, paint faces, and distribute
prizes).  We could really use 30 volunteers if possible.  The carnival is on
Friday, April 2 from 5-8 at Carrie Busey Elementary School 1605 W. Kirby Ave.
Champaign For more information contact Lisa Akins PTA Carnival Coordinator
359-6023 (home) or lisa at akins.ws (home email)

6.  Mathew house, a long-term, intensive mentoring for high risk children,
needs a volunteer to help maintain the Matthew House Website
(http://www.matthewhouse.org/), provide support for the office computers and
the 15 computers used by the children in the Godparent Home Mission.  If you
are interested, contact Jenny Marck at 239-7377.

7.  St. Jude’s is looking for a volunteer to help coordinate a Bike-A-Thon.
No experience is necessary.  If you are looking for something new and
interesting to try, this is it.  For more information contact Thomas Payne at
1800-457-2444 between 4pm and 9pm.

8.  Assist Special Olympics athletes play bocce. Bocce is similar to lawn
bowling. Volunteers can help the athletes take turns, help measure the
distance of each player's bocce ball to help determine the winner, and help
encourage and cheer on the players. Meets Mondays from 4:30 - 5:30 at Eisner
Park, which borders the Hays Center at 1311 W. Church. Runs every Monday
through May 10.  Contact Kathy Stiebner at 398-2374 or
kathy.stiebner at cparkdistrict.com.

9.  C-U Family Week is bipartisan, collaborative effort between students and
community members to organize a weeklong series of events highlighting family
life in our local community. We aspire for the week to help unify our
community in a project we can potentially 'all work on.' We are currently
urgently seeking volunteer support for two aims: a) staging a small-scale
pilot of Family Week this April 18th-24th in one local neighborhood (Garden
Park on North Neil Street) and b) laying groundwork towards a larger-scale
community event later this November (one week before Thanksgiving). We would
be thrilled for help on any of seven subcommittees focused on each of the days
of the week [Family Night-In/Parent Night-Out/Family Heritage Day/Family
Neighborhood Day, etc--see www.cufamilyweek.tk for more information]. Contact
Jacob with questions or interest (jzhess at uiuc.edu, 766-2471 cell). Thank you!

10.  Want to visit the Indianapolis Children's Museum with our Day Campers?
It's a very hands-on museum and we could use your assistance helping our
campers get the most from their visit. Come with us and experience the museum
through the eyes of school aged children. We would like to have 5 volunteers
this day to have a 1 on 1 staff/day camper ratio to ensure all campers get the
most of their experience. We will all meet at 8:30 at Springer Rec Center and
travel together to Indy on buses. We will return to Spalding around 5:00. We
would love to have you join us!  For more information contact Kathy Stiebner
at 398-3274 or at kathy.stiebner at cparkdistrict.com

Thirsting for other volunteer opportunities? Check out www.cuvolunteer.org
for 250+ others.

Tell them the Office of Volunteer Programs sent you,

--Sascha Meinrath & Brian Dubina
Office of Volunteer Programs

Phone#: 333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Office: 277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp