[Volunteers] Volunteer Listserv: November 9th, 2004

Staci Provezis sprovez2 at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 9 10:21:55 CST 2004

Tuesday, November 9, 2004
Office of Volunteer Programs Weekly Listserv

Table of Contents
1. Food Drive Scavenger Hunt
2. Free Friday Fun Gym
3. LINC Courses for Credit
4. Donate a Toy for Free Bowling
5. Sorting Dried Goods
6. Play Bags- Win BIG!
7. Parents’ Night Out
8. Korean War National Museum & Library

1. Food Drive Scavenger Hunt

Service and Justice Outreach will be sponsoring a food drive
SCAVENGER HUNT
on Sunday, November 14th at 1:30PM.  We will gather in the
social hall of
Newman Hall on the corner of Sixth Street and Armory
(immediately under the
chapel), and then divide into teams to go out and collect
food items.  The food collected will be used to prepare a
special dinner for needy women and children at a women's
shelter.  The scavenger hunt will be a really fun way to be
of service to those in need, so come on out and bring a
friend!  Also, we will prepare and serve dinner at a women's
shelter on the evening of Thursday, November 18th, and
volunteers are needed to prepare and serve the meal, and to
provide child care.  For more information or to volunteer
please contact serviceandjustice at yahoo.com

2. Free Friday Fun Gym

The YMCA is sponsoring a Free Friday Fun Gym, Friday,
November 12th from 5PM-8PM.  This event is a free event at
the Fitness and Family Center where kids can come play on the
gymnastics equipment for free!  We need help with supervision
of the equipment during the event.  A little perk- volunteers
get an opportunity to play on all the gymnastics equipment
too! Please contact ashleyc at ccymca.net for more information
on the event.

3. LINC Course for Credits

Need a 3-hour course? ENG 199 - LINC: Learning IN Community
gives you an opportunity to build leadership and team skills
and work on a worthwhile project for a non-profit agency,
both locally and internationally.  (And don't let
the "ENGineering" fool you.... it's for everyone, all
undergrads, all majors.)

Register for ENG 199, Lecture AL1 and choose from 7
Discussion sections: ADA (Cunningham Children's Home), ADB
(Habitat for Humanity), ADC (Home Hi Middle School for
Girls), ADE(North South University in Bangladesh), ADF (Swann
School for kids with disabilities), ADG (TIMES Center for
homeless men), or ADH (Unity Grade School).  See
www.linc.uiuc.edu or contact Ann Finnegan, Program Manager,
(abfinngn at uiuc.edu or 244-3833) for more info.

LINC meets Tuesdays 3:00PM-3:50PM and Thursday 3:00PM-4:50PM
and satisfies "Other SS/H" requirement for COEngingeering.

4. Donate a Toy for Free Bowling

Illini Union Rec Room is currently offering coupons for a
free game of bowling to the first 100 people who bring in
toys for OVP’s Annual Holiday Toy Drive. There are still a
lot of coupons  left! The Toy Drive goes all the way through
November and ends December 6th. Email Lindsay at
lbaran at uiuc.edu with the number of children you would like to
sponsor, and she will give you a specific age bracket and
requested gift ideas. This is done in order for a wider range
of children to receive gifts rather than over emphasis on a
particular age group. Please keep your toy purchases at $15
or less. Drop off new toys in the OVP office located at 277
Illini Union in the RSO complex between the hours of 9AM-5PM,
Monday through Friday. Please do not wrap the toys. The toys
collected will be distributed to human service agencies in
Champaign County. If you have any further questions or
concerns feel free to contact Lindsay or call the Office of
Volunteer Programs at (217) 333-7424.

5. Sorting Dried Goods

The Eastern Illinois Foodbank needs help sorting some of the
dried goods they have recently received. The Eastern Illinois
Foodbank is a nonprofit organization that acquires, stores,
maintains and distributes quantities of food products and
essentials to hungry people through Eastern Illinois, thus
alleviating hunger and nourishing stronger communities. The
Eastern Illinois Foodbank would like anyone who would like to
help. Volunteers are needed Tuesday, November 9th and Monday
the 15th from 5PM-7PM. Volunteers are also needed for
Saturday the 13th from 10AM-12PM. We are looking for as many
volunteers as possible. For more information, contact Jessica
Culp by email jculp at eifoodbank.org or call her at (217) 328-
3663 Ext. 17.

6. Play Bags- Win BIG!

Link Community Development (LCD) will be holding a Bags
Tournament on Saturday, December 4 at noon at the Armory.
The first place team will win TWO ROUND-TRIP FLIGHTS to
anywhere in the US!  $10/person includes food and a t-shirt--
profits
from this fundraiser will go towards our linked schools in
South Africa to aid the HIV/AIDS crisis, as well as to help
link schools across the globe to raise cultural awareness.
Contact linkuofi at yahoo.com to enter your team or with any
questions!

7. Parents’ Night Out

The YMCA is hosting a Parents’ Night Out, Friday, November
19th from 6PM-10PM.  This is an event where parents can drop
their kids off at the McKinley Family Center and go out for a
night!  We entertain their kids with games, swimming, crafts,
food, and a movie! We are looking for volunteers to just hang
out with and help watch the kids! Please contact
ashleyc at ccymca.net for more information.

8. Korean War National Museum & Library

The purpose of the Korean War Veterans National Museum and
Library is to preserve a record of the participation of the
United States in the Korean War, to educate and disseminate
information to the general public about the Korean War era
and Korea, and to promote good relations and friendship among
Korean War veterans, the citizens of other United Nation
countries who participated in the Korean War, and the people
of Korea. This facility is trying to house the only full-
scale educational resource center of its kind devoted
entirely to the preservation, study, and understanding of the
Korean War.

Volunteers are needed in a variety of areas: build display
cases, restock displays, greet visitors at the front desk,
help with office work, perform general maintenance, act as a
library aide, and conduct group tours of the museum. Contact
volunteer coordinator Michelle Clayton at
(217) 893-4111 or email Michelle at kwvm.com for more
information.

Visit our website to find more volunteer opportunities:
www.cuvolunteer.org.
We offer the most comprehensive list of volunteer
opportunities in Champaign County.

Staci Provezis & Michael Cipriani
Office of Volunteer Programs
Phone#:  333-7424
E-mail:  ovp at uiuc.edu
Office:  277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp