[Volunteers] Volunteer Listserv April 5, 2005

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 5 10:04:34 CDT 2005

Tuesday, April 5, 2005
Office of Volunteer Programs Weekly Listserv

Table of Contents

1. Office of Volunteer Program Seeks Paid Intern
2. National Volunteer Week

3. I -Guides 2005: LEAD THE WAY to Community Plunge
4. Provena Covenant Medical Center's Grandma's Attic Sale

5. Make-A-Wish Wishmakers: Mile of Quarters

6. ICTM High School Math Contest

7. Girl Scouts Historical Preservation

8. Investigate Spanish language translation for human services Web site

9. Aircraft Crew Chief for Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum

1. Office of Volunteer Program Seeks Paid Intern

Are you interested in helping make a difference in the community? The Office of Volunteer Programs at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is looking for an intern for the 2005-2006 school year. For more details and an application, check out the website: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/ <http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/> . (click on the link at the top of the page) Applications are due Friday, APRIL 8 at noon  (that's this Friday!!) via email to ovp at uiuc.edu or printed and turned in to the Office of Volunteer Programs, 277 Illini Union. Questions? Contact Staci Provezis at ovp at uiuc.edu.

2. National Volunteer Week

APRIL 16th through APRIL 23rd is National Volunteer Week. The Office of Volunteer Programs is planning a week of donation drives and service activities for that week. Are you interested in sponsoring a drive or participating in a volunteer project that week? If so, contact Staci Provezis at ovp at uiuc.edu <mailto:ovp at uiuc.edu> .

3.  I -Guides 2005: LEAD THE WAY to Community Plunge

As the end of the semester draws near, it's time to think ahead to what leadership and volunteer opportunities you'll pursue in Fall 2005.  If you want to make a difference in your own campus community and welcome new students to campus, here's your chance. Starting Fall 2005, orientation will include a community service element called Community Plunge. Students will have the opportunity to participate in a service project, and the I-Guides will help lead them in this project. In so doing, I-Guides 2005 will be different from any year before. As an I-Guide, you receive the opportunity to move-in to university housing early to beat the crowds, and you receive a $75 bookstore scholarship. Each year, thousands of new students join our U of I community for the first time.  I-Guides 2005 is a your chance to step up and LEAD THE WAY!!  Register by Monday, APRIL 11 at: www.housing.uiuc.edu/living/iguides <http://www.housing.uiuc.edu/living/iguides> . Feel free to e-mail mailto:iguides at admin.housing.uiuc.edu <mailto:iguides at admin.housing.uiuc.edu>  for questions or additional information you may have. Thanks in advance for your time and energy to share the Illini pride with new students and parents, as they become members of the U of I campus community.

4. Provena Covenant Medical Center's Grandma's Attic Sale

The auxiliary at Provena Covenant Medical Center is hosting "Grandma's Attic Sale", a fundraiser that benefits scholarships and other service projects of the auxiliary.

We are asking for volunteers to donate items such as linens, workable appliances, lamps, books,  jewelry, dishes, household items, funiture, knickknacks, clean and wearable clothing, etc.  These items can be dropped off at the Provena Covenant front lobby between 9am-1pm on April 16, May 14, or May 28, 2005.

We would also like to invite volunteers to participate in the actual sale on June 25, 2005.  Please contact AmandaJHolt at ProvenaHealth.com or 217-337-2378 to participate in the event.

5. Make-A-Wish Wishmakers: Mile of Quarters

Make-A-Wish Wishmakers is having a charity program on APRIL 15th called Mile of Quarters, and are looking for volunteers for canning from 8AM-5PM on April 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, and helping out on the 15th in 1 hour time slots. It will be very helpful if we could have a total of around 20-30 volunteers for those days. We are also looking for an individual that may want to MC the event on April 15th from 12:00 to 1:00. For further information please contact LuLu Cheong, Vice President, at kcheong at uiuc.edu <mailto:kcheong at uiuc.edu> .

6. ICTM Volunteers

The Mathematics Department is seeking volunteers for the ICTM (Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics) High School Math Contest to be held on the UIUC campus on Saturday, April 30, 2005. Over 2000 high school students from around the state will be there so an estimate of 200 volunteers are needed to proctor, grade, enter data, usher, time oral competitions and many others. Special qualifications are not needed for most of the jobs. Note that some volunteers are also needed on Sat. APRIL 2 and during the week before APRIL 30.

7. Girl Scouts Historical Preservation

The History Committee is seeking individuals that have an interest in history and are detail oriented. We can use your help in identifying and cataloging our historical uniforms and artifacts. We also need people to help with making conservation boxes to store the Council's historical artifacts. Tasks are simple and we will train you. If interested, contact Camille Born (217) 328-5112.

8. Investigate Spanish language translation for human services Web site

Spanish-language HelpSource [http://www.helpsource.org] -- Research and evaluate available options for translation of HelpSource Web site into Spanish using an automated Web-based service -- collect feedback from Spanish-speaking users about quality of automatic translation -- write up recommendations (which may include recommendation to do manual translation of key pages) -- assist with grant proposal -- working knowledge of Spanish desirable but not required. If interested, contact Karen Fletcher at (217) 244-7454.

9. Aircraft Crew Chief for Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum

You will "adopt" one of our aircraft and be responsible for keeping it looking good for our visitors. You may also research the airplane in our library and archives, update or improve the signs that describe it to visitors, and coordinate restoration projects for the airplane if you are interested. Talk with us to learn more! Call Tracy Lunquist at (217) 893-1613.

Be sure to check www.cuvolunteer.org <http://www.cuvolunteer.org/>  regularly for additional volunteer opportunities.

Staci Provezis and Shermin Ali
Office of Volunteer Programs
Phone#:  333-7424
E-mail:  ovp at uiuc.edu
Office:  277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp