[Volunteers] Volunteer listserv for August 24, 2005

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 24 12:01:21 CDT 2005

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Office of Volunteer Programs Weekly Listserv

Table of Contents

1.        Volunteer Fair

2.        School Supply Drive

3.        30th Annual Sweetcorn Festival

4.        HOMEWORKS

5.        Assist with a Special Olympics Bowling Competition

6.        Hospital Opportunities

7.        Illinois Renaissance Faire

8.        Youth Soccer Coaches Needed

9.        Dump-n-Run

10.     CUVolunteer

1. Attend the Volunteer Fair!!!!

 The Office of Volunteer Programs and The Career Center present a Volunteer Fair on Friday, September 9th.  The Volunteer Fair will showcase over 50 service agencies and student organizations, so you can find out what opportunities interest you most. Come by the Illini Union Rooms ABC anytime from 10-2. Mark your calendars now. We hope to see you this week at the Volunteer Fair!

2. Donate School Supplies

 Phi Eta Sigma and the Office of Volunteer Programs are co-sponsoring a school supplies drive from August 25-September 9 to benefit local youth. We are asking for donations of pens/pencils, notebooks/folders, glue, crayons/markers, and rulers.  The items that are collected will be donated to Salt and Light, an area organization that assists families below the poverty line. Drop off supplies at the Office of Volunteer Programs located in the RSO complex.

3. 30th Annual Sweetcorn Festival

 The Urbana Business Association needs your help to set up, clean up, and sell tickets during the Sweetcorn Festival on August 26th from 5pm to 11pm and August 27th from 11am to 11pm.  Contact Mary Dennis if you are interested in helping at (217)344-3872.

4. Volunteer at HOMEWORKS

HOMEWORKS is a home improvement resale warehouse selling new and gently used furniture, household items, gardening supplies, and building materials to the public at greatly discounted prices. The 9,000 sq. foot store opened in May 2003 and is almost completely volunteer run. Below are specific volunteer opportunities that we now have open. Contact Angela Miller, HOMEWORKS Manager, at homeworks at soltec.net or call 355-6460 if you're interested.

Cashiers needed to help customers and run the cash register at HOMEWORKS, Wednesdays 3-7pm, Fridays and Saturdays 9am-4pm.  Basic math skills, attention to detail, customer service skills, and previous cashier experience desired.

Pick-up and delivery drivers needed at HOMEWORKS on Wednesdays 3-7pm, Fridays & Saturdays 9am-4pm.  Drive our pickup or box truck to help with donation pick-ups and merchandise delivery.

5. Assist with a Special Olympics Bowling Competition

The Special Olympics needs your assistance for an area bowling competition on Sunday, August 28th from 8am to 5pm.  Your responsibilities may include some of the following: keep score for athletes, present awards, pass out lunches to athletes, or coach. Medical volunteers are also needed. Contact Georgeann Kulton by email at gkulton at soill.org <mailto:gkulton at soill.org>  or by phone at (217) 355-1750 to volunteer.

6. Hospital Opportunities

Volunteers are being sought at Provena Covenant Medical Center and Carle Hospital to work in various departments. Contact Mindy Slack with Provena at 337-2378 or Barb Laubenthal with Carle at 383-3362.

7.  Illinois Renaissance Faire

The Illinois Renaissance Faire requests volunteers for the 2005 faire which will be held on Labor Day Weekend (September 3, 4, and 5) at Ellsworth Park in Danville.  (The IRF is a non-profit family event held to entertain  and educate a wide audience.)

Opportunities Include:

·         Building and striking the faire: constructing the stages and other small buildings for the faire (no experience necessary).

·         Operating the Children's Area: We would like a few kind individuals to operate and supervise various children's games.

·         Fairegrounds Maintainance: Helping to keep the faire area clean.

·         Box Office: Help take tickets and distribute general information to the fairegoers.

·         Dancers and Actors: Dancers who will learn and perform renaissance-era dance and actors who will help create a jovial period atmosphere and interact with the fairegoers.

If you are interested in any of these positions or a combination of more than one, please contact JoMarie (the Faire Director) at: illinirenfaire at yahoo.com <mailto:illinirenfaire at yahoo.com>

8. Youth Soccer Coaches Needed

Volunteers are needed to help kids learn how to play soccer. Coaches are responsible for running practices and games. Contact Hsiung Marler at the Champaign Park District at 398-2550 or Todd Winter at the Urbana Park District at 344-9583.

9. YMCA Dump-n-Run

Volunteers are needed thru Saturday, August 27. Volunteers receive a free shirt and snacks/water are provided. Shifts typically run for three hours, but we'll take you whenever we can get you!

If you can volunteer, please simply reply to this e-mail with (or cut and paste) the date(s)/time(s) you are willing and able to help. And, please spread the word! NOTE: We need the most volunteers on THURSDAY and SATURDAY, but can use you anytime!

*** Breakdown of volunteer times: ***
Wednesday, August 24 - 9:00 - 12:00
Wednesday, August 24 - 12:00 - 3:00
Wednesday, August 24 - 3:00 - 6:00
Wednesday, August 24 - 6:00 - 9:30

SALE DATES and CLEAN-UP
Thursday, August 25 - 9:00 - 12:00
Thursday, August 25 - 12:00 - 3:00
Thursday, August 25 - 3:00 - 6:00
Thursday, August 25 - 6:00 - 9:00
Friday, August 26 - 9:00 - 12:00
Friday, August 26 - 12:00 - 3:00
Friday, August 26 - 3:00 - 7:00
Saturday, August 27 - 8:00 - 11:00
Saturday, August 27 - 10:00 - 1:00 (start clean-up)
Saturday, August 27 - 1:00 - 5:00 (clean-up)

*** Where you need to go/meet the rest of the crew: ***

Stock Pavilion - 1402 W. Pennsylvania, across from the cemetery and two blocks East of Memorial Stadium. It's where the U of I has their annual flower show. The closest cross streets are 6th and Pennsylvania. You'll see green signs. You can't miss it. Go in the South (Pennsylvania) entrance.

*** The person you need to call if you have questions or concerns: ***

Rachael - rachael at universityymca.org. Cell phone number is 312-720-7004. Your best bet of reaching Rachael all next week is on the cell. You can also reach her at the University YMCA at 337-1500.

10. CUVolunteer

 Visit our website to find more volunteer opportunities: www.cuvolunteer.org <http://www.cuvolunteer.org/> . This site offers the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign county.

--Staci Provezis