[Volunteers] Volunteer Listserv: February 22, 2005

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 22 09:37:27 CST 2005

Tuesday, February 22, 2005
Office of Volunteer Programs Weekly Listserv

Table of Contents
1. A Friend's Closet
2. Read Across America

3. The AAO Toy Box
4. Carrie Busey Elementary School Carnival
5. Alternative Spring Break

6. Single Parent Scholarship Foundation
7. Daffodil Days: Gift of Hope

8. Green Meadows Girl Scouts

9. Pull for Access

1. A Friend's Closet

Want to do something with your old PROM DRESS? Want to make someone's prom EXTRA SPECIAL? SEA, Student Education Association, is collecting dresses (all styles and sizes) and accessories to hold a Prom Boutique for Central High School. To make this event successful, please donate your CLEAN dresses by Friday, APRIL 8, 2005. If interested, contact Jenny @ jhkim5 at uiuc.edu <mailto:jhkim5 at uiuc.edu>  or Melissa @ mmjohns3 at uiuc.edu <mailto:mmjohns3 at uiuc.edu> .

2. Read Across America

This year's Read Across America Committee is asking for your help as volunteers at our annual celebration of reading that is being held at Lincoln Square in Urbana. Last year almost 900 children participated in the event, so we expect to need a lot of volunteers again this year. Volunteers are needed from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, MARCH 5, 2005 to greet the children and help them with the activities.  We are thinking in terms of three shifts of two hours each: 9 to 11, 11 to 1, and 1 to 3, but will be glad to adjust the schedule to accommodate your organization. Please consider sharing a couple hours of your time to celebrate and promote the importance of reading. We hope you will join us and help share the message of the role of our entire community in motivating children to read. If you are willing to help, please call or e-mail Dale Montanelli at (217) 351-7002 or montanel at uiuc.edu no later that FEBRUARY 21, 2005. She will be able to tell you more about the volunteer activities and will be developing the schedule for volunteers.

3. The AAO Toy Box
Do you have any new/new looking stuffed animals you could part with? The Atheist Agnostic Organization will be continually collecting plush toys for the children at Carle Foundation Hospital. These toys bring great comfort to some very sick kids and are always very much loved and appreciated. If you have any items you would like to contribute drop them in the AAO Toy Box in Illini Room 277 (The Office of Volunteer Programs), or contact David F. Vondra, President AAO at vondra at uiuc.edu.

4. Carrie Busey Elementary School Carnival

Carrie Busey Elementary School is in need of volunteers for the school's carnival. It is a night of great fun for our students from Kindergarten through 5th grade. Our greatest need is for volunteers to run the various games (collect tickets, explain games, paint faces, and distribute prizes). The carnival is on Friday, MARCH 11, 2005 from 5 - 8PM at Carrie Busey Elementary School, 1605 W. Kirby Ave.; Champaign. Help bring smiles to young children's faces by participating in this fun activity! Please contact Lisa Akins, PTA Carnival Coordinator, at (217)398-3630 ext.1390 or at lisa at akins.ws <mailto:lisa at akins.ws>  for further information.

5. Alternative Spring Break

Each year, Alternative Spring Break organizes service trips during fall, winter, and spring breaks. On each trip, volunteers deal with a specific social, political, or environmental issue and gain experience and knowledge working with these issues. To help fund their upcoming spring break trip, ASB members need your help! Your attendance at the following fun-filled events will benefit this great service project:

ASB DATE AUCTION: Thursday, MARCH 10 @ 8-11 p.m. in Latzer Hall, YMCA ($5.00 admission)

BENEFIT CONCERT: Wednesday, APRIL 20 @ 9p.m. at High Dive

6. Single Parent Scholarship Foundation

Single parents in our community who dream of completing their higher educational goals are faced with significant barriers. These barriers include, but are not limited to, finding affordable childcare, poverty, transportation, low wages, and the stressors of parenting. These barriers play a significant role in single parents not only entering but also completing a college program. While all of us are susceptible to hard times, single parents and their children are the most at risk, and these are the clients that we serve. Would you like to help us make a difference? You can by donating your time and energy to help sell Bergner's community day tickets from now until FEBRUARY 26th. To pick up your coupons, please contact our volunteer coordinator Maria Thompson at (217) 265-7507, or email at spsf at soltec.net <mailto:spsf at soltec.net>

For the past two years this event has helped to fund four scholarships to single parents enrolled in college. Thank you

7.  Daffodil Days: Gift of Hope

The Daffodil is a bright flower that can send the message of Hope to anyone.  Take part in the American Cancer Society Daffodil Days and send the message of HOPE to a cancer patient.  Your small donation can make a large difference in the life of another. The Gift of Hope is a bouquet of daffodils given in a lovely vase with information on American Cancer Society services and education.  The Gift of Hope is an anonymously given bouquet that is delivered to a cancer patient in a local hospital or treatment center.  Gifts of Hope are not delivered to specific patients, nor are the donor's names attached to a gift.  They are truly anonymous gifts of joy! Your donation of $15 can brighten the day of a cancer patient and help the American Cancer Society with their mission to eliminate cancer through research, education, advocacy and services.  Send a note of purchase for GOH and your donation to:  2509 S Neil, Champaign, IL 61820.

8. Green Meadows Girl Scouts

Girl Scout cookies are back! However, before they can be delivered and sold, your local Girl Scouts need your help! On Tuesday, MARCH 8, 2005 and Wednesday, MARCH 9, 2005 cases of Girl Scout cookies will be at Hutchcraft Van Service waiting for us to sort them by each troop order. Hutchcraft is located on 1614 N. Lincoln Avenue in Urbana.  We are looking for volunteers to help us sort the cases by troop. We start at 8:45 a.m. and work until 3:00 p.m. both days.  We would like each volunteer to stay at least 2 hours but it's not mandatory. Interested volunteers should show up on-site.

9. Pull for Access

In an ongoing effort to support PACE, Inc., a local nonprofit organization whose mission is to offer services to assist persons with disabilities in achieving and maintaining independence, the Office of Volunteer Programs is assisting in the collection of pop tabs. The activity is simple! All you have to do is save your pop tabs and drop them off at any time in the Office of Volunteer Programs' office, in Illini room 277. We are looking to have group participation in this activity, interested volunteers who would like to lead others (student organizations, fraternities/sororities, residence halls/floors, and even friends) in collecting pop tabs can call (217) 333-7424 for more information, or stop by the OVP office to pick up a container.

Be sure to check www.cuvolunteer.org <http://www.cuvolunteer.org/>  regularly for additional volunteer opportunities.

Staci Provezis and Shermin Ali
Office of Volunteer Programs
Phone#:  333-7424
E-mail:  ovp at uiuc.edu
Office:  277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp