[Volunteers] Hurricane Katrina Relief

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 7 17:05:08 CDT 2005

We have been getting a lot of questions from students about our community's response to Hurricane Katrina.  This e-mail contains details for several relief initiatives as well as the contact person for each.

FUNDRAISING EFFORTS

* On Wednesday, September 7 and Thursday, September 8, there will be fundraising efforts on campus.  Please contact Karen Thompson at Personnel Services (333-3101) for more information.
* On Friday, September 9, there will be Salvation Army kettles at 25 locations throughout C-U.  Please contact Paul Harleston (352-5151, paul at uwayhelps.org) for more information.
* If you would like to organize a fundraiser on campus, you must fill out a space request form and be approved by Brooks Moore, Director of Registered Student Organizations (333-1153).

COLLECTION DRIVES

* Personal care items, housewares, clothing, and a specific list of foods are needed, as well as people to work at the food pantries. Please contact Amy Sponsler at (333-7424, sponsler at uiuc.edu) for more information.
* Blood Drives will take place from Friday, September 9 to Friday, September 16 at the Illini Union.  Check the ads in the Daily Illini for more information.
* A school supply drive is currently underway.  All items will be given to evacuees who will be enrolling in local school districts.  If you would like to donate, please drop your items off at the Office of Volunteer Programs in 280 Illini Union.

DIRECT SERVICE

* Students are needed to help set up for the Salvation Army kettles to be distributed in the community on September 8 for the collection to take place on September 9.  If you would like to the count money collected, that will be done Saturday, September 10 during morning hours.  Please contact Paul Harleston (352-5151, paul at uwayhelps.org) if you would like to help.

OTHER WAYS TO HELP

If there is something different that you or your organization would like to arrange to benefit the victims of Hurricane Katrina, just stop by the Office of Volunteer Programs.  Our mission is to assist students with their efforts to serve the community and we can help with the planning for your event.  We are located on the 2nd floor on the southwest side of the Illini Union (room 280) and are open from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM.  You can also call us at 333-7424 or e-mail Amy Sponsler, OVP's Director, at sponsler at uiuc.edu.

Stu Schaff
Office of Volunteer Programs
Phone: 333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Office: 280 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Web site: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/