[Volunteers] OVP Listserv for 8/29 to 9/5

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 29 10:01:09 CDT 2007

OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERV

Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign County.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1.  Welcome to the OVP listserv

2.  A Brand New OVP!

3.  BT Washington Afterschool Library Program

4.  UIUC Biodiesel: Kickoff Meeting

5.  Illini Global Initiative: Informational Meeting

6.  Help with Urbana Park District’s Chautauqua event

1.  Welcome to the OVP listserv

Welcome to the Office of Volunteer Programs Weekly Volunteer Opportunity mailing list.  This list is used solely to send out volunteer opportunities to interested people who have asked to be added to our contact list.  The list is moderated and you should only receive one e-mail a week.

2.  A Brand New OVP!!!

The Office of Volunteer Programs will be located next year at 284 Illini
Union!  With a larger space and more resources, we hope you and your
RSO's will come visit us for help with all of your volunteering needs!
284 Illini Union is located on the southern side of the Illini Union
right by the Illinois Leadership Center!  A Grand Opening Date will be
set soon - we hope to see you there!!

3.  BT Washington Afterschool Library Program

This program provides homework and reading help to students in grades K through 7 who are most in need of extra support. The BTW Afterschool Library Program serves approximately 40 students.  Would you like to volunteer? Great! Contact Laura Lowe (llowe at uiuc.edu) or Alison Bolla (alison.bolla at gmail.com), volunteer training starts September 4.  For more info., visit http://ilabs.inquiry.uiuc.edu/ilab/btwalp

4.  UIUC Biodiesel: Kickoff Meeting

The UIUC Biodiesel Initiative began late in the Spring of 2006 as a the local project under the UIUC chapter of Engineers Without Borders. Our primary goal is to produce approximately 400 gallons of biodiesel per week during the academic year for use by the UIUC campus vehicle fleet.  The UIUC Biodiesel Initiative is committed to lowering the emissions of the university as well as promoting knowledge of biofuels in the university and local community.

The first meeting of the semester for all committees, returning members, new members, and anyone interested in the project should come to tonight’s meeting. We'll talk about what we've done so far for the project, what we still have to do, and start to get the rest of the ends tied up.
Come learn about how to make our campus more sustainable!!
For more information contact the co-project coordinators at biodiesel at uiuc.edu.
6:30PM Wednesday August 29th! Wall Room -- 2nd floor of YMCA -- Corner of Wright and Chalmers across the street from Lincoln Hall

5.  Illini Global Initiative Informational Meeting

IGI is working to unite the campus and empower students to become global leaders.  We’re looking for new student leaders of any age and experience.  Come to Thursday’s meeting to learn more about how you can collaborate with multiple RSOs and work on campus-wide projects.  Meeting location: Thursday, August 30th, 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM, 131 English Building.

6.  Help with Urbana Park District’s Chautauqua event

Be an event volunteer and help the Urbana Park District make its 100th Anniversary a success! To celebrate its centennial birthday, the district is putting on a free six-day Chautauqua--a festival offering music, dance, culture, politics, religion, children's activities and fun. The event will take place in October 9 to 14 in Crystal Lake Park in Urbana, IL. Volunteers can assist with event set-up/take-down, children’s activities, backstage support for live entertainment, equipment loading, refreshment/information stations, parking, food and vending, and much, much more. Each volunteer receives a free commemorative Chautauqua volunteer shirt! All help is appreciated - individuals and groups alike. Simply call 217/367-1544 or 217/384-4062.

Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs
284 Illini Union (in the Student Organization Complex)
Phone: 217-333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/ <http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/>