[Volunteers] OVP Digest for 11/5 to 11/11

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 5 09:44:08 CST 2007

Monday, November 5, 2007
OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERVE
Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign County

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1.  Volunteer Illini Projects: apply for Board of Directors (apps due 11/14)
2.  Moving books for the Champaign Public Library (11/7 – 11/12)
3.  Illini Mentor Program Volunteer Event (11/17)
4.  Special Olympics Illinois – Young Athletes Program (9/22 – 12/15)
5.  HeadCount: Register voters at concerts
6.  Energy Detectives (register now for Spring semester)
7.  The Illini 4000 for Cancer (May 2008)
8.  Scholarships at the Institute on Philanthropy and Voluntary Service (Summer ’08)

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

1.  VOLUNTEER ILLINI PROJECTS: APPLY FOR BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Volunteer Illini Projects has extended their application deadline for their Board of Directors.  We are looking for directors for the following projects:  Treasurer, Animal Allies, Arts Outreach, Environmental, Friendship, I-Vote, Social Empowerment and Public Relations.  If you are interested in any of these positions or have questions, please email Laura at gangic2 at uiuc.edu.  Applications can be found on the VIP website at volunteerilliniprojects.org or by emailing Laura.  Applications are due Wednesday, November 14th at 5pm.

2.  MOVING BOOKS FOR THE CHAMPAIGN PUBLIC LIBRARY

The Friends of the Champaign Public Library are hosting their last giant book sale before moving to a permanent, bookstore-like setting in Champaign's new library.   Thousands of used books, movies, and music will be held at a new location: Robeson’s Plaza, next to Carle Clinic, at the southwest corner of Kirby and Mattis Avenues, in Champaign from November 9-11. We need numbers of volunteers with strong arms to help us move the sale items to the sate site. Times are available Nov 7, 8, and 12 for groups or individuals. For more information, please contact:  Chiawen Liu via email at cliu at champaign.org, or by phone at (217) 403-2076.

3.  ILLINI MENTOR PROGRAM VOLUNTEER EVENT

Illini Mentor Program, a volunteer organization on campus, is dedicated to mentoring youth in the Champaign-Urbana area. We are looking for volunteers to help raise money that will benefit the most important people in our organization: the kids. With the money we raise, we hope to buy educational supplies, culturally enriching activities, supplies for Family Nights, and much, much more. We want to inform you of a great opportunity for you to make a direct impact on the funds we raise. This year, IMP, has been selected to work at *Illini Football games*. At these games, you would be assigned a task such as ticket taking or ushering. During the game, you would get breaks to even watch the game! Each hour you work at the game, IMP gets paid minimum wage. It's a great fundraiser and one of the easiest ways we have to make money. Please email Shuchi Kapoor at kapoor.shuchi at gmail.com, if you would like more information or would like to volunteer.  Upcoming home games are: October 20, October 27, November 17

4.  SPECIAL OLYMPICS ILLINOIS – YOUNG ATHLETES PROGRAM

Come be a part of this exciting new program through Special Olympics Illinois.  The Young Athletes program is an innovative sports play program for children ages 2-7 with intellectual disabilities along with their siblings and their peers, designed to introduce them into the world of sports. This program will prove enormously beneficial on multiple levels for your child including helping the children improve physically, cognitively and socially.  The activities will consist of foundational skills, walking & running, balance & jumping, trapping & catching, throwing, striking, kicking and advanced skills.  For more information, contact Jessi Bernstein at 217-239-1152, or jessica.bernstein at cparkdistrict.com.

5.  ENERGY DETECTIVES

The First United Methodist Energy Detectives Cracking their Case!

Are you looking for a no-brainer volunteer opportunity to take on – that would not take up much of your time but be really rewarding AND fun?  If you love to work with kids, have plenty of patience, a bit of creativity, and one or two hours to spare once a week, read on.  If you think that 10 and 11-year olds are the last people you would ask to save energy, they are proving you wrong!   Such sleuths from local elementary schools have participated for four semesters, every Wednesday afternoon to take a close look at how an old downtown building uses electricity and gas, while learning about energy use and conservation, developing skills in computer applications, problem-solving and team-building and having fun at the same time.

First United Methodist Church of Champaign, the sponsor of this program, is so excited and thankful for the program’s success that we plan to offer the Energy Detectives program again this Spring.  We need YOU to contribute (in one of two ways (see below) to the FUMC Energy Detectives after-school adventure!

FUMC’s  ‘Energy Detective’ After-school Program

YOUR help in either way (once or many times) will be much appreciated!  As:
•       A Mentor (from 3:00-4:45 p.m.), or
•       A Gym or Park-aide (from 4:45-5:15 p.m.)
for one afternoon a week of the Energy Detectives After-School Program on Thursday(s) (between mid-Jan. and early May).

Let Rev. Mary Brady (356-9078 or mbrady at champaignfumc.org) or Avis Hasler (avis_herbie at hotmail.com) know in what capacity YOU feel called to help in your support of this exciting youth program!!

6.  HEADCOUNT: REGISTER VOTERS AT CONCERTS

HeadCount is a nonpartisan voter registration organization that works with musicians such as Dave Matthews Band, Crosby Still & Nash, and members of the Grateful Dead and Phish. HeadCount will be running voter registration booths at up to 1,000 concerts nationwide in 2008, and we are looking for volunteers and leadership candidates to assist with these efforts.

For more information and to register as a volunteer, please visit www.headcount.org.

HeadCount volunteers will be expected to learn proper procedures for registering voters and will be asked to proactively seek out unregistered voters at concerts. A Headcount volunteer should be a responsible, well-spoken individual who is not shy about approaching strangers.  Volunteer shifts generally begin when or before the concert doors open, so availability in early evening hours is required. Positions are also available for "Team Leaders" who organize and oversee this activity on site, and for "Regional Coordinators" that manage 6-8 team leaders in a geographical region. Performance-based stipends of up to $1,000 will accompany some positions. HeadCount is also looking to fill some key positions in its central leadership, including a director of digital media, an outreach director and a graphic designer (who would assist our art director).

As a grassroots organization affiliated with over 50 recording artists, Headcount offers a unique volunteer experience.  All of our volunteers, especially those in leadership positions, are important members of our team and see the immediate results of their efforts. Volunteers are held to a high standard and they have unforgettable experiences with musicians, other team members, and individuals they meet in the field.
Contact: Grier Donald [annagrierdonald at yahoo.com]

7.  THE ILLINI 4000 FOR CANCER

The Illini 4000 sends a team of 25 riders across the United States each summer to raise money for cancer research.  This summer they are riding from Seattle to Washington D.C; the ride will begin during the last week of May 2008 and end no later than August 2, 2008. This year they hope to raise $100,000 for the American Cancer Society and Camp Kesem. If you are interested in riding or helping out, please contact Jonathan Schlesinger at jschles2 at uiuc.edu and check out the following websites: www.Illini4000.org & www.filmsthatmove .com (see the trailer)!!!

8.  SCHOLARSHIPS AT THE INSTITUTE ON PHILANTHROPY AND VOLUNTARY SERVICE

Scholarship applications are now being accepted for the 2008 Institute on Philanthropy and Voluntary Service, a dynamic summer program for undergraduate students interested in volunteerism and careers in the nonprofit sector.  This summer from June 7 to August 2, 2008 at Georgetown University, Washington, DC, the face-paced Institute will offer a rigorous combination of professional experience, academic learning and service projects that will provide students with an unparalleled experience in the nation's capital.
-Internships – Competitive placements with leading nonprofit organizations
-Classes – Up to 9 credit hours from Georgetown University
-Housing – Furnished on-campus apartments
-Service – Variety of hands-on community projects
-Guest Lectures – With Washington's top nonprofit executives and scholars
-Leadership Development – Leadership, mentoring and career building activities
-Scholarships – Over half of all students receive full or partial funding
-Networking – With hundreds of other top student and nonprofit leaders from around the world

For more information or to request a brochure, please visit the website at www.dcinternships.org/ipvs or contact Ms. Patty Gentry, Program Coordinator, by phone at 1-800-741-6964 or via email at ipvs at tfas.org.

Have a super week!

Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs
288 Illini Union
Phone: 217-333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/