[Volunteers] OVP Digest for 11/26 to 12/2

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 26 09:28:16 CST 2007

Monday, November 26, 2007
OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERVE
Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign County

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1.  OVP Annual Holiday Toy Drive
2.  Champaign Park District Holiday Events (12/1,12/3,12/8)
3.  Children’s Holiday Party in the Union (12/2)
4.  Two Volunteer Positions at the University YMCA
5.  HeadCount: Register voters at concerts
6.  Energy Detectives (register now for Spring semester)
7.  The Illini 4000 for Cancer (May 2008)
8.  Scholarships at the Institute on Philanthropy and Voluntary Service (Summer ’08)

Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.
(The Buddha)

1.  OVP ANNUAL HOLIDAY TOY DRIVE

Help brighten the holiday season for our community's children! The Holiday Toy Drive starts on Wednesday, November 14 and runs through Wednesday, December 12th. Toys can be dropped off in 288 Illini Union, they should value no more than $15, and they should be left unwrapped. Individuals who donate will be entered into a raffle to win gift certificates to campus businesses and restaurants. The group that donates the most toys will win either a pizza party or a free DI ad. If you have questions, please feel free to contact OVP at ovp at uiuc.edu or call 333-7424.

2.  CHAMPAIGN PARK DISTRICT HOLIDAY EVENTS

With the holidays right around the corner, the Champaign Park District has several fun events coming up that need volunteer help!

On Saturday, December 1 the 7th Annual Parade of Lights will be taking place and we are in need of around 70 volunteers to help manage the parade route and take part in this community tradition. Volunteers are needed from 4:30 to approximately 7:30pm.

During the week of December 3, we are looking for a group to come in and help wrap numerous holiday presents for kids in preparation for our Douglass Holiday Party. The exact day and time is flexible depending up the group’s own scheduling needs.

On Saturday, December 8, the Douglass Holiday Party will be taking place from 1pm to 3pm. We need some people to help set up the event, run the games and crafts, and help pass presents out to the kids.

Finally, we are looking for a group of males to help out with our Calls from Santa. Volunteers will act like Santa and call a list of good little boys and girls, eagerly waiting to hear from the North Pole. Volunteers would be needed from 5:30 to approximately 8pm.

If you are interested in any of these opportunities, please contact Katie Flint (at 217.398.2550 or katie.flint at cparkdistrict.com). Thanks in advance for your support!

3.  CHILDREN’S HOLIDAY PARTY IN THE UNION

The Illini Union Board’s Faculty Staff Social Committee is seeking volunteers for the Children’s Holiday Party that will be hosted in the Illini Union on December 2, 2007.  They’re looking for students who may be willing to go in costume to greet the children, help in our craft room, or help with watch the children while they are at the event.  The event runs from 2 – 4 pm on December 2nd.  We would need the volunteers from 1:30 – 4:30.  To volunteer, email ovp at uiuc.edu with “IUB Children’s Party” in the subject line!

4.  TWO VOLUNTEER POSITIONS AT THE UNIVERSITY YMCA

Development Assistant (2-3 hours per week)
The University YMCA is looking for a volunteer to help price, post, sell, and ship items online to raise money for the University YMCA programs.

University YMCA Program Intern (6-8 hours per week)
Tasks may include, but are not limited to: * Assist with planning, marketing, and implementation of weekly lecture series * Help track program participants * Assist Program Director with the development and implementation of a comprehensive marketing plan for University YMCA programs * Assist Program Coordinator with the development of fundraising resources and the implementation of local business survey *
Develop content for quarterly newsletter publication (Y-book) * Assist with general office tasks, such as: mailings, filing, copies, etc.

If you’re interested in either of these positions, please send a resume and a short paragraph describing your interests to Kasey (kasey at universityymca.org OR (217) 337-1514).

5.  ENERGY DETECTIVES

The First United Methodist Energy Detectives Cracking their Case!

Are you looking for a no-brainer volunteer opportunity to take on – that would not take up much of your time but be really rewarding AND fun?  If you love to work with kids, have plenty of patience, a bit of creativity, and one or two hours to spare once a week, read on.  If you think that 10 and 11-year olds are the last people you would ask to save energy, they are proving you wrong!   Such sleuths from local elementary schools have participated for four semesters, every Wednesday afternoon to take a close look at how an old downtown building uses electricity and gas, while learning about energy use and conservation, developing skills in computer applications, problem-solving and team-building and having fun at the same time.

First United Methodist Church of Champaign, the sponsor of this program, is so excited and thankful for the program’s success that we plan to offer the Energy Detectives program again this Spring.  We need YOU to contribute (in one of two ways (see below) to the FUMC Energy Detectives after-school adventure!

FUMC’s  ‘Energy Detective’ After-school Program

YOUR help in either way (once or many times) will be much appreciated! As:
•       A Mentor (from 3:00-4:45 p.m.), or
•       A Gym or Park-aide (from 4:45-5:15 p.m.)
for one afternoon a week of the Energy Detectives After-School Program on Thursday(s) (between mid-Jan. and early May).

Let Rev. Mary Brady (356-9078 or mbrady at champaignfumc.org) or Avis Hasler (avis_herbie at hotmail.com) know in what capacity YOU feel called to help in your support of this exciting youth program!!

6.  HEADCOUNT: REGISTER VOTERS AT CONCERTS

HeadCount is a nonpartisan voter registration organization that works with musicians such as Dave Matthews Band, Crosby Still & Nash, and members of the Grateful Dead and Phish. HeadCount will be running voter registration booths at up to 1,000 concerts nationwide in 2008, and we are looking for volunteers and leadership candidates to assist with these efforts.

For more information and to register as a volunteer, please visit www.headcount.org.

HeadCount volunteers will be expected to learn proper procedures for registering voters and will be asked to proactively seek out unregistered voters at concerts. A Headcount volunteer should be a responsible, well-spoken individual who is not shy about approaching strangers.  Volunteer shifts generally begin when or before the concert doors open, so availability in early evening hours is required. Positions are also available for "Team Leaders" who organize and oversee this activity on site, and for "Regional Coordinators" that manage 6-8 team leaders in a geographical region. Performance-based stipends of up to $1,000 will accompany some positions. HeadCount is also looking to fill some key positions in its central leadership, including a director of digital media, an outreach director and a graphic designer (who would assist our art director).

As a grassroots organization affiliated with over 50 recording artists, Headcount offers a unique volunteer experience.  All of our volunteers, especially those in leadership positions, are important members of our team and see the immediate results of their efforts. Volunteers are held to a high standard and they have unforgettable experiences with musicians, other team members, and individuals they meet in the field.
Contact: Grier Donald [annagrierdonald at yahoo.com]

7.  THE ILLINI 4000 FOR CANCER

The Illini 4000 sends a team of 25 riders across the United States each summer to raise money for cancer research.  This summer they are riding from Seattle to Washington D.C; the ride will begin during the last week of May 2008 and end no later than August 2, 2008. This year they hope to raise $100,000 for the American Cancer Society and Camp Kesem. If you are interested in riding or helping out, please contact Jonathan Schlesinger at jschles2 at uiuc.edu and check out the following websites: www.Illini4000.org & www.filmsthatmove .com (see the trailer)!!!

8.  SCHOLARSHIPS AT THE INSTITUTE ON PHILANTHROPY AND VOLUNTARY SERVICE

Scholarship applications are now being accepted for the 2008 Institute on Philanthropy and Voluntary Service, a dynamic summer program for undergraduate students interested in volunteerism and careers in the nonprofit sector.  This summer from June 7 to August 2, 2008 at Georgetown University, Washington, DC, the face-paced Institute will offer a rigorous combination of professional experience, academic learning and service projects that will provide students with an unparalleled experience in the nation's capital.
-Internships – Competitive placements with leading nonprofit organizations
-Classes – Up to 9 credit hours from Georgetown University
-Housing – Furnished on-campus apartments
-Service – Variety of hands-on community projects
-Guest Lectures – With Washington's top nonprofit executives and scholars
-Leadership Development – Leadership, mentoring and career building activities
-Scholarships – Over half of all students receive full or partial funding
-Networking – With hundreds of other top student and nonprofit leaders from around the world

For more information or to request a brochure, please visit the website at www.dcinternships.org/ipvs or contact Ms. Patty Gentry, Program Coordinator, by phone at 1-800-741-6964 or via email at ipvs at tfas.org.

Have a scholastic week!

Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs
288 Illini Union
Phone: 217-333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/