[Volunteers] OVP Digest for 10/15 to 10/21

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 15 09:35:52 CDT 2007

Monday, October 15, 2007
OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERVE
Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign County

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1.  OVP Make a Difference Drive (10/15 – 10/29)
2.  Special Olympics Illinois – Young Athletes Program (9/22 – 12/15)
3.  Promote Breast Cancer Awareness (This week!)
4.  Illini Mentor Program Volunteer Events (10/20)
5.  Boomerang Bike Ride (10/28)
6.  The Illini 4000 for Cancer (May 2008)
7.  Halloween Funfest volunteers needed (10/29)

How far that little candle throws his beams!
So shines a good deed in a weary world.
(William Shakespeare)

1.  MAKE A DIFFERENCE DRIVE!

The Office of Volunteer Programs is working on its annual Make a Difference Drive!  MADD is a 2-week long outreach and donation drive that benefits agencies which serve people across Champaign Counties.  The drive will run from October 15-29.  If your service group is interested in helping, please visit [http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/madd/] or contact us (ovp at uiuc.edu) for more information!

2.   SPECIAL OLYMPICS ILLINOIS – YOUNG ATHLETES PROGRAM

Come be a part of this exciting new program through Special Olympics Illinois.  The Young Athletes program is an innovative sports play program for children ages 2-7 with intellectual disabilities along with their siblings and their peers, designed to introduce them into the world of sports. This program will prove enormously beneficial on multiple levels for your child including helping the children improve physically, cognitively and socially.  The activities will consist of foundational skills, walking & running, balance & jumping, trapping & catching, throwing, striking, kicking and advanced skills.  For more information, contact Jessi Bernstein at 217-239-1152, or jessica.bernstein at cparkdistrict.com.

3.   PROMOTE BREAST CANCER AWARENESS
Colleges Against Cancer will be promoting breast cancer awareness with "Got Pink?" During the week of 10/15, they will be selling shirts and giving out information about breast cancer. They will need help with setting up and selling shirts!  If you are interested, e-mail CACUOFI at gmail.com<mailto:CACUOFI at gmail.com> and tell them your availability!

4. ILLINI MENTOR PROGRAM VOLUNTEER EVENT

Illini Mentor Program, a volunteer organization on campus, is dedicated to mentoring youth in the Champaign-Urbana area. We are looking for volunteers to help raise money that will benefit the most important people in our organization: the kids. With the money we raise, we hope to buy educational supplies, culturally enriching activities, supplies for Family Nights, and much, much more. We want to inform you of a great opportunity for you to make a direct impact on the funds we raise. This year, IMP, has been selected to work at *Illini Football games*. At these games, you would be assigned a task such as ticket taking or ushering. During the game, you would get breaks to even watch the game! Each hour you work at the game, IMP gets paid minimum wage. It's a great fundraiser and one of the easiest ways we have to make money. Please email Shuchi Kapoor at kapoor.shuchi at gmail.com, if you would like more information or would like to volunteer.  Upcoming home games are: October 20, October 27, November 17

5.  BOOMERANG BIKE RIDE
Help the Uni High club, Students for a Better World make their benefit ride for A Woman's Fund a huge success! The Boomerang Bike Ride, a perimeter ride around Urbana-Champaign, is designed to bring support and awareness to the issues of domestic violence and sexual assault. The course is 42 miles in total - ride all or just part of the route.  Check in is Sunday, October 28th 8-8:30am, and we’ll depart from the east entrance of Lincoln Square, Urbana. (facing Vine St.).  $15 entry fee.  For details and to register online visit Nutrition on the Move website:  http://www.nutritiononthemove.net

Raise $$ from pledges and be eligible for one of 20 hand-made authentic boomerangs from Australia!!

6.  THE ILLINI 4000 FOR CANCER
The Illini 4000 sends a team of 25 riders across the United States each summer to raise money for cancer research.  This summer they are riding from Seattle to Washington D.C; the ride will begin during the last week of May 2008 and end no later than August 2, 2008. This year they hope to raise $100,000 for the American Cancer Society and Camp Kesem. If you are interested in riding or helping out, please contact Jonathan Schlesinger at jschles2 at uiuc.edu and check out the following websites: www.Illini4000.org & www.filmsthatmove .com (see the trailer)!!!

7.  HALLOWEEN FUNFEST VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

Fall is right around the corner and that means the Champaign Park District is busily planning for Halloween Funfest!  This year Funfest is October 29th from 6pm-9pm.  If you would like to be involved with this fun filled and exciting event, please feel free to contact me! Paul Bady, Special Events & Volunteer Coordinator: phone: (217) 398-2550, email: Paul.bady at cparkdistrict.com.

We hope you have a stupendous week!
-Office of Volunteer Programs Staff