[Volunteers] OVP Digest for 4/21/08

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 21 15:11:29 CDT 2008

Monday, April 21, 2008
OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERVE
Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign County

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1. Student Worker Position in the OVP
2. Ebert Fest Volunteers Needed (4/23-4-27)
3. Stratton Elementary School Carnival (4/25)
4. Webkinz Weekend (4/26)
5. Cycling to Empower Homeless Families (5/4)
6. University YMCA’s Dump & Run (5/5 – 5/23)
7. Savoy Summer Soccer Club Volunteers (6/23-7/12)
8. University YMCA Program Intern for Fall Semester
9. Massachusetts Promise Fellowship with AmeriCorps
10. Summer Listserve
11. Bocce Tournament

The more you lose yourself in something bigger than yourself,
the more energy you will have.
~ Norman Vincent Peale (1898 – 1993, Protestant preacher and author)

1. WANT TO WORK FOR THE OVP?

We have one student worker position open for next school year.  If you are interested in being a part of our fantastic team please stop by Illini Union room 227 and fill out an application for student employment.  Make sure to designate OVP under work area preference.  Feel free to email our Director, Amy Sponsler, with any questions at sponsler at uiuc.edu.  Friday, April 25th is the last day to apply.

2. EBERT FEST VOLUNTEERS

This event will take place from 4/23-4/27.  Volunteers will be hosts at the event.  Hosts are assigned to provide transportation for a Festival guest (director, writer, producer, actor). Virginia Theatre Team – usher, work concessions, assist with pass holders and registration, VIP/press registration and check in, crowd control and merchandise sales. Office Administration – help with distribution of posters, running errands, stuffing envelopes, etc. If Interested, contact Mary Susan Britt at marsue at uiuc.edu, or call her at 217-244-0552.  http://www.ebertfest.com

3.  STRATTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CARNIVAL

If there are any groups out there who would like to help out with the school carnival at Stratton Elementary on April 25th, please contact Amy Sponsler (sponsler at uiuc.edu).  Volunteers are needed in 2 shifts:  11:30-2:00 and 1:30-4:00.

4.  WEBKINZ WEEKEND

The event will be at Balloon Creations, at 202 W. University Urbana, Illinois (corner of Race
Street and University)

Activities will include:

500 Free Webkinz  |  Magician  |  Balloon Animals  |  Snowcones  |  Cotton Candy  |  PopCorn  |  Pepsi   |  Free balloons  |  Ring toss game  |  Wheel of Fortune  |  and more!

Saturday April 26th 11AM-5PM

We need a couple of women 18-30 years old to dress up like a princess for an hour or two to meet and greet the girls who are attending and maybe take pictures with them.

To volunteer, contact Jason at 217.344.9179 or jwhitch at yahoo.com

5.  CYCLING TO EMPOWER HOMELESS FAMILIES

We are in need of volunteers and/or sponsors for our fundraising event “Pedal Power”, Cycling to Empower Homeless Families which will be held on Sunday, May 4th at Hessel Park in Champaign.  We need volunteers to assist with registration, pass out information, greeters, rest stop volunteers, set-up and clean-up.  We also invite the students to participate in the event individually or as teams of four.   For more
information about times and registration fees and volunteering or sponsorships contact Gail Elkins at 217-352-7151 or e-mail me at gail at cwt-cu.org.

6.  UNIVERSITY YMCA’S DUMP & RUN

The University YMCA will soon begin collecting [sorting, and packing) items for this year’s Dump & Run! However, we need volunteers!!!  And when you do volunteer, you get first dibs on the things collected (after only 4 hours of volunteering) - and we get an unbelievable amount of great things donated!

Please e-mail Kasey (kasey at universityymca.org) if you are able to volunteer during any of the times listed below.

The collection/drop-off (and volunteer) schedule for spring/summer 2008 is as follows:

MAY 5 – 7 (MON – WED) from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
MAY 8 (THUR) from 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
MAY 9 – 10 (FRI – SAT) from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

MAY 12 - 14 (MON- WED) from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
MAY 15 (THUR) from 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
MAY 16 (FRI) from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

MAY 19 - 21 (MON – WED) from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
MAY 22 (THUR) from 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
MAY 23 (FRI) from 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

The basic concept of Dump and Run is simple: we collect reusable items that students (and folks in the community) would otherwise dispose of during the typical move-out/Spring cleaning period in May. We then sell the collected items at an annual garage sale held in late August (when students come back). This project reduces litter and consumer waste, saves space in landfills, lowers dumping costs for certified housing and apartments, provides inexpensive items for folks to purchase in the fall, and acts as a major fundraiser for the University YMCA. Last year we had 5 semi-truck trailers FULL of stuff – ALL donated to the University Y.

7. SAVOY SUMMER SOCCER CLUB

We are in the need of volunteers for the Savoy Summer Soccer Club this summer.  The program meets June 3- July 12 on Tuesdays from 6:00-8:00pm and Saturdays from 9:30-11:15am.  Volunteers would assist coaches with drills and games.  For more information, contact  Christina Bell from the Savoy Recreation Center at 217-359-3550.

8.  UNIVERSITY YMCA PROGRAM INTERN FOR FALL SEMESTER

Hours per week: 6-8
Tasks may include, but are not limited to:
* Assist with planning, marketing, and implementation of weekly lecture series
* Help track program participants
* Assist Program Director with the development and implementation of a comprehensive marketing plan for University YMCA programs
* Assist Program Coordinator with the development of fundraising resources and the implementation of local business survey
* Develop content for quarterly newsletter publication (Y-book)
* Assist with general office tasks, such as: mailings, filing, copies, etc.

Please send resume and short paragraph describing your interests to Kasey (kasey at universityymca.org OR (217) 337-1514)

9.  MASSACHUSETTS PROMISE FELLOWSHIP WITH AMERICORPS

I’m writing to tell you about an excellent opportunity for graduating students! The Massachusetts Promise Fellowship is a statewide, youth development AmeriCorps program dedicated to providing a better future for children and youth in Massachusetts. Our 30 Fellows serve at non-profit organizations, schools, and city agencies across the state leading a variety of initiatives related to youth, including youth leadership development, mentoring, after-school enrichment, youth outreach and education, and volunteer recruitment and coordination.

During their year of service, our Fellows are highly supported and receive numerous trainings to enhance their personal and professional development. Through our partnership with Northeastern University, Fellows also have the opportunity to take

FREE graduate-level courses with the University’s School for Professional & Continuing Studies.

You can also learn more at www.masspromisefellows.org.

10.  SUMMER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES LISTSERVE

If you’re going to be around CU this summer and would like to keep up with volunteer opportunities please email sponsler at uiuc.edu to be added to the OVP’s summer listerve.

11.  SPECIAL OLYMPICS BOCCE TOURNAMENT

Special Olympics Illinois/Eastern Prairie is hosting a bocce tournament on April 26th and need lots of volunteers.  This is a great opportunity to get involved with an awesome organization.  If you are interested in helping out please email Amy Sponsler at sponsler at uiuc.edu for registration information.

Have a service-filled week!

Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs
288 Illini Union
Phone: 217-333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/