[Volunteers] Volunteer Listserv August 28, 2008

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 28 15:39:05 CDT 2008

Thursday August 28, 2008
OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERVE
Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign County

TABLE OF CONTENTS
 1. OVP Information Night, September 3rd
 2.  Service Abroad Night, September 10th
 3. Volunteer Fair, September 17th 10 a - 2p
 4. Holiday Toy Drive November 12- December 11
 5. Transitions Resale Store
 6. Robeson Elementary Fall Festival, September 19th
 7. CU on the Trails September 20
 8. Reels and Wheels Car Show September, 20
 9. Harvest Fest Saturday, October 4
10. Nightmare on Grove St., October 25
11. Halloween Fun Fest, October 27
12. Parade of Lights, December 6
13. Sports Coaches needed
14. Preschool Assistant
15. Virginia Theatre

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.  ~Leo Buscaglia
Up Coming Events Presented By the Office of Volunteer Programs:

1. OVP Information Night

Wednesday, September 3rd
7 p, 404 Illini Union
Come learn what OVP can do for you and your organization!

 2. Service Abroad Night

Wednesday, September 10th
7p, 314 Illini Union
Hear from RSOs who volunteer abroad…. And learn how you can be on their next trip!

3. Volunteer Fair

Wednesday, September 17th 10 a - 2p
Agencies and student service organizations showcase their volunteer opportunities to the U of I student body in Illini Union rooms A, B, and C.

4. Holiday Toy Drive

November 12- December 11
OVP and the U of I student body collect toys to give to local agencies.   More info as the drive gets closer.

5. Transitions Resale Store

Do you love organizing items? The Center for Women in Transition Resale Store is in need of volunteers. For more information contact:  Monique M. Phagan (217)352-7151 ext. 32 or storemanager at cwt-cu.org<mailto:storemanager at cwt-cu.org>

Special Events

6. Robeson Elementary Fall Festival

Like to work with kids? You can make their night by volunteering at Robeson Elementary Fall Festival! Volunteers would be responsible for supervising simple carnival-type games for kids aged kindergarten through 5th grade. Friday, September 19th, 2008 5:00-8:00pm contact Jill Thomas at: (217) 378-5147 or jillthomas1 at comcast.net

7. CU on the Trails

Help out with this Fun Run, volunteers are needed to help manage the route and assist runners. Contact Stacey Cornell 352-6044 or stacey.cornell at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:stacey.cornell at cparkdistrict.com> Saturday, September 20, 7:30am. Morrissey Park

8. Reels and Wheels Car Show

Are you intrigued by classic cars? Volunteers needed to help with registration at this classic car show. Contact Jody Groff 398-2550 or jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com> Saturday, September, 20, 10am-12pm and 4-6pm. Virginia Theatre

9. Harvest Fest

Are you a lover of the fall season? Candy Hay Hunt, Face Painting, Fall Corn Fling and Pumpkin Ring Toss are just some of the games with help running for this fall festival. Contact Jody Groff 398-2550 or jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com> Saturday, October 4, 10am-1:30pm and 1:30-5pm at Prairie Farm.

10. Nightmare on Grove St.

Do you enjoy scaring people? Help us run our spooky game area, manage our hayrack rides and be a scary extra in our haunted house. Contact Jody Groff 398-2550 or jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com> October 25, Set up 10am-1pm and event 1-4pm at Douglas Community Center.

11. Halloween Fun Fest

 Help run games for our Halloween event that draws thousands of area children. Contact Jody Groff 398-2550 or jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com>  October 27, set up 4-6pm and event 6-9pm at Market Place Mall.

12. Parade of Lights

Do you like parades and holiday lights? Lots of help is needed (75 volunteers) for this parade that closes nearly all the streets of downtown Champaign. Help secure street closings or serve drinks in our Hot Chocolate Huts. Contact Jody Groff 398-2550 or jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com> December, 6, 4:30pm - ? Downtown Champaign

13. Sports Coaches needed

Good at sports? Even better at coaching them? Become a park District Coach, You’ll get to do something you love while making a difference! Contact Hsiung Marler 398-2571 or hsiung.marler at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:hsiung.marler at cparkdistrict.com>

14. Preschool Assistant

Love working with young children? Preschool assistants needed Monday-Friday build your own volunteer schedule between the hours 8am-5:30pm.  Programs located at various facilities. Contact Jody Groff 398-2550 or jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com>

15. Virginia Theatre

The theatre is offering several volunteer opportunities from Concessions to Crowd control.  For more information Contact Anthony Howell 356-9053 or Anthony.howell at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:Anthony.howell at cparkdistrict.com>

Upcoming Opportunities
Artist Reception – Friday, September 14 4:30pm
Second City’s Deface the Nation – Saturday, September 13, 6:45pm
(Movie) Smokey and the Bandit – Saturday, September 20, 11:45am-3pm and 5:45pm-9pm
(Movie) 2001 A Space Odyssey – Saturday, October 11, 11:45am-3pm and 5:45pm-9pm
CU Theatre Company’s Little Shop of Horrors – October 23-25 (Wed-Sat), 5:15-9:30pm and October 26 (Sun), 1:15-4:30pm
(Movie) The Big Lebowski - Saturday, November 15, 11:45am-3pm and 5:45pm-9pm
Feel the Season’s Magic – Friday, December 5, 6:15-9:30pm
(Movie) White Christmas - Saturday, December 6 11:45am-3pm and 5:45pm-9pm

Welcome back and have a great weekend!

>From OVP

Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs
288 Illini Union
Phone: 217-333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/