[Volunteers] OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERVE Monday, December 1st

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 1 17:23:49 CST 2008

Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/Monday, December 1, 2008
OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERVE
Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign County

TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.      Holiday Toy Drive
2.      Cookie Decorating Fundraiser for Holiday Toy Drive
3.      Alternative Spring Break Trips
4.      Children’s Party
5.      Champaign Park District Light festival
6.      Transitions Resale Store
7.      Orpheum’s Drop and Shop
8.      I-Walk for Vision
9.      LIVE. LEARN. INTERN. SUMMER INSTITUTES
10.  Apostic Light
11.  The Catholic Network of Volunteer Services
12.  Salvation Army
I slept and dreamt that life was pleasure; I woke and saw that life was service; I served and discovered that service was pleasure. - Rabindranath Tagore

Programs brought to you by the Office of Volunteer Programs

1. Holiday Toy Drive (November 12-December 11)

Help put a smile on a child’s face! Donate new toys to local children!
OVP will be collecting toys to give to local agencies. Drop off unwrapped gifts (approximate value $15), at 288 Illini Union, from November 12-December 11. RSOs, make it a group event!  The RSO that brings in the most gifts will win your choice of a free pizza party or a free DI Ad for your group!  For more information contact us at ovp at illinois.edu or (217)333-7424

2. Cookie Decorating Fundraiser

In the mood for some seasonal fun?  Need a break from school?  Want to make a difference in a child’s life? Help us reach our goal of 1000 donated toys! Come to COOKIE DECORATING at the University YMCA on the Corner of Wright and Chalmers December 3, 2008 from 3 pm- 6:30. 1 cookie for $1.50/ 3 cookies for $4/ 6 cookies for $6. Money raised will be used to purchase toys for local children and youth this holiday season. For more info the Office of Volunteer programs @ ovp at illinois.edu<mailto:ovp at illinois.edu>.

3. Alternative Spring Break Trips
Interested in volunteering but don't have time during the school year? Looking for a way to do something meaningful with your Spring Break? Do you want to become more aware of social justice and environmental issues affecting communities around the nation? ASB is offering 17 nationwide service trips during spring break. You can apply online at www.illinoisasb.org/trips/spring<http://www.illinoisasb.org/trips/spring>

Those interested in submitting a general application need to apply by Dec. 3

4. Children’s Party
Volunteers are needed for a Holiday Children’s Party on Sunday, December 7 from 1-4pm in I-Rooms B and C.  6-7 volunteers are needed; with at least two willing to wear a costume, if at all possible. Please Contact Paula Urtubey-Fish at urtubey at illinois.edu or Phone (217) 333-3660.

5. Champaign Park District Light festival

December 6 (snow ice date December 7)
4:30pm-7:00pm
Come be a part of the biggest holiday celebration in Champaign. Many volunteers (75+) needed to help manage the parade route for the 8th annual Parade of Lights. Contact Jody Groff jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com> for more information.

December 6 (snow ice date December 7)
9am-11am
Can’t help with the parade, but still want to be a part of the event? We need individuals to help us put Meter Bags over the parking meters as we get ready to close down the streets. Contact Jody Groff jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com> for more information.

6. Center for Women in Transitions Resale Store.

The Center for Women in Transitions Resale Store is looking for 3 groups to volunteer on December 6th and 13th. Please contact Monique Phagan at 217-314-2158 or at storemanager at cwt-cu.org.

7. Orpheum’s Drop and Shop

The Orpheum is hosting a Drop and Shop, which allows parents to drop their pre-registered children off to play holiday games and activities while parents finish a little Christmas shopping.  We will be in need of several volunteers to help out with this activity at the Orpheum. This event takes place first three Saturdays in December (the 6, 13, and 20) from 1-4 p.m. For more information contact Elizabeth Hallengren at 217.352.5895 or orpheumkids.org.

8. I-walk for Vision
YOU can make a difference in the lives of thousands of visually impaired children and adults. On April 25, we will have the first ever iWalk for Vision, and if you are interested in helping plan this very important fundraiser, then come to a meeting Sunday, Dec. 7th at 4pm in the Courtyard Cafe. I will be wearing a bright pink Illinois shirt, and I have long, curly hair.

iWalk will raise money and awareness for degenerative eye diseases while giving participants an opportunity to experience different forms of eye diseases themselves through experiential components of the walk. All proceeds will go to Hope for Vision which is a non-profit organization which raises money for the development of treatments and cures for retinal degenerative eye diseases.

9. LIVE. LEARN. INTERN. SUMMER INSTITUTES
June 6 – August 1, 2009
Georgetown University, Washington, DC
www.dcinternships.org<http://www.dcinternships.org>

**NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR EARLY DEADLINE OF DECEMBER 5, 2008**

Sponsored by The Fund for American Studies in partnership with Georgetown University, the Institutes combine substantive internships, courses for academic credit, career development activities, site briefings and lectures led by prominent policy experts.

Students will be accepted in a rolling basis until the Final Deadline of March 5, 2009. Students applying by the Early Deadline of December 5, 2008 will be given preference in admissions and scholarship decisions and will receive a 5% discount on their tuition balance.

•         Internships – Competitive placements with top sites in D.C.
•         Classes – Up to 9 transferable credits from Georgetown University
•         Housing – Furnished on-campus apartments in the heart of D.C.
•         Guest Lectures – With Washington’s top policy and industry experts
•         Site Briefings – At the White House Complex, State Department, U.S. House of
Representatives and Federal Reserve
•         Leadership & Professional Development – Leadership, mentoring and career building activities
•         Networking – Interaction with hundreds of other student leaders from around of the world
•         Scholarships – Over half of all students receive full or partial funding based on merit and financial need

Four eight-week programs are offered in the following subject areas:

•         Politics, Public Policy and International Affairs
•         Journalism, Communications and Public Relations
•         Corporate Business and Government Affairs
•         Nonprofit and Community Service

For more information and an online application, please visit our website www.dcinternships.org<http://www.dcinternships.org> or contact Haley Heieck, Recruitment and Admissions Assistant, at admissions at tfas.org or 1-800-741-6964.

10. Apostic Light
Volunteers are needed for ESL and Child Care on Tuesdays. For more information call (217)778-3697.

11. The Catholic Network of Volunteer Services
What are you going to do after U. of I.? Get a job? Go back to school?
If you interested in giving back and making a difference in the world, consider a long-term volunteer experience.

The Catholic Network of Volunteer Services has member programs in all 50 states and more than 100 countries across the world including Africa, Asia, Central America and the Caribbean, South America, Europe, North America, Australia, and the South Pacific.

CNVS is the umbrella organization that helps students find a placement that fits their interests and talents in their desired location.  There are positions in every type of setting: large and small cities, suburbs, and rural areas in nearly 100 different service categories, from teaching and social services to medicine/nursing to community organizing and homelessness services.

You will find a placement that fits you, with people and communities that desperately need your services. Volunteer opportunities range from a week to a summer to a two-year commitment - and everything in between. You do not have to be Catholic or Christian to become a volunteer.

For questions, concerns or a firsthand account of a long-term volunteer experience, please contact Katie Hamilton at khamilt3 at illinois.edu or visit www.cnvs.org<http://www.cnvs.org>

12. Salvation Army
The Salvation Army needs help with its 2008 Christmas Campaign

Bell ringing (November 14 – December 24)
During the Christmas season you will see the familiar Salvation Army red kettle all over town.  We are in need of individuals and groups to ring bells during the holiday season.  The money raised through this effort supports The Salvation Army programs in Champaign County throughout the year including Christmas Toy Shop, Christmas Food Vouchers, Shelter and Emergency Services. Contact Melanie Hall or Joyce Meents at 217.373.7832.

Angel Tree at Market Place Mall (November 14 – December 23)
The Angel tree affords the opportunity for the public to purchase toys for an "angel" (child).  Each "Angel Card" on the tree represents a child who will receive a toy through our toy shop this Christmas season.  Volunteers are needed to sit at the tree, help distribute "angel cards" and receive purchased gifts from donors.  Contact Melanie Hall or Captain Jessica Lofu at 217.373.7832.

Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs
288 Illini Union
Phone: 217-333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/