[Volunteers] OVP Digest for 2/25/2008 to 3/3/2008

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 25 16:09:25 CST 2008

Monday, February 25, 2008
OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERVE
Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign County

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1.  OVP’s Non-Profit & Governmental Career Fair
2.  Volunteer for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (this week)
3.  Boy Scout Merit Badge Seminar Volunteers Needed (3/1)
4.  Help CORE’s Campus Clean-UP (3/1)
5.  Special Olympics Polar Plunge (3/8)
6.  Help with the Carrie Busey Carnival (3/28)
7.  Join the Krannert Center Student Association
8.  Help at the IL AfterSchool Network 22nd Annual Conference (4/18-19)

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (Commonly referred to as Mahatma, “Great Soul”)

1.  OVP’S NON-PROFIT & GOVERNMENTAL CAREER FAIR

Meet representatives from a variety of non-profit and government agencies and learn about job and internship opportunities.  National, state, and local agencies will be present.  The non-profit and governmental career fair will be held Monday, March 10th from 11am-3pm in the Illini Rooms in the Illini Union.  See you there!

2.  VOLUNTEER FOR THE MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY ASSOCIATION

The Muscular Dystrophy Association is looking for volunteers for this week and the schedule is listed below. If there is anyone that is available to come to our office and help us out please either contact me via email or by phone.

Monday      10-5
Tuesday      9-12
Wed            1-5
Thursday    2-5
Friday         2-5

We need volunteers for all of these times next week.  If you can even come part of the time, please let us know.  Please drop us an e-mail and let us know if you are coming so that we can set the appropriate amount of projects.  Thank you so much.

Amanda Eades
aeades at mdausa.org or 217-351-1853

3.  BOY SCOUT MERIT BADGE SEMINAR VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

I'm in desperate need of some volunteers for the Holy Cross, Troop 9 Boy Scout Merit Badge Seminar next Saturday, March 1st.  Volunteers will assist with a variety of tasks, but mostly they will help the instructors in the various classrooms (electronics, astronomy, criminal justice, engineering, etc.)    They will help keep the boys on task, assist with group projects or demonstrations and offer general assistance to the instructors.

I'm looking for as many volunteers as possible.  I will need volunteers at Holy Cross School (in Champaign) by 7:30 a.m. and all classes are over by 5:00 p.m.     If someone can't commit for the whole day, I can still use them for 1/2 day sifts.   Lunch is provided for volunteers (and snacks are available through out the day).  Since this event is only one week away I would appreciate it if you could respond ASAP.

If you can help, please contact Kathleen Atchley at kathya at aocs.org.

4.  HELP CORE’S CAMPUS CLEAN-UP

CORE (Community Organized Recycling Efforts) invites you to participate in a community wide aluminum can recycling effort this Saturday, March 1st 2008 11am-5pm . On Saturday CORE and volunteers from SECS, Go Green Inco., VIP Environmental, NLVS and others will be collecting aluminum cans from the Champaign community to be shipped to a recycling facility.

To become involved in this campus-wide clean up, please sign up for this free service we will be providing on Saturday. Email UIUCRECYCLES at gmail.com your (anonymous) address and a specification of where your aluminum recycling will be located. Please make sure to crush the cans before you place them outside. Also, please put all cans in a plastic garbage bag.

Additionally, in order to make a CORE Campus Clean-Up a successful example of students collaborating with their community, we're seeking out volunteers. Volunteers can help in four ways:

1. Post fliers in the Champaign area in order to gain awareness and solicit participants
2. Post fliers in Urbana to encourage use of city's pick-up recycling program on this day
3. Have aluminum cans collected from your house or apartment and email us with a designated pick up point
4. Help CORE collect aluminum cans from designated areas on Saturday

You can get involved by emailing your name, preferred volunteering activity and any questions/concerns you may have to UIUCRECYCLES at gmail.com. Specific details on when and where activities will be taking place will be provided.

Thank you so much and hope to hear from you soon!

Cassie Carroll
Co-Director of CORE

5.  SPECIAL OLYMPICS POLAR PLUNGE

The Special Olympics Polar Plunge will be held March 8th at Lake of the Woods in Mahomet.  They need volunteers to help with registration and on site logistics the day of the event.  Volunteers will receive a free t-shirt!  Contact Georgeann Kulton at gkulton at soill.org

6.  HELP WITH THE CARRIE BUSEY CARNIVAL

The Carrie Busey Carnival is on March 28th from 5 to 8pm.  We can use volunteers for any of these times.
3:00 to 5:00 for setup
5:00 to 8:00 during carnival
8:00 to 9:30 for cleanup

Carrie Busey is on West Kirby in Champaign - about 2 miles off campus.

We will need a total of about 100 volunteers so we can definitely use any help you can offer.  If you have any questions or need more information please let me know.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
Kristian Sargeant
Carrie Busey PTA, Carnival Coordinator
202-1642 or 344-1266, or sargentkr at yahoo.com

7.  JOIN THE KRANNERT CENTER STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Members of the Krannert Center Student Association support the creative work of Krannert Center, helping to make it a thriving, welcoming place. They also celebrate the many aspects of the performing arts in a world diverse in culture and beliefs, working with the arts throughout the campus and community. You can:
…get the inside story by becoming a Krannert Center tour guide
…get free shows by becoming a Krannert Center usher
…meet a diverse and engaging group of friends, and work on special events like Taste of the Arts and International Festival
…grow your leadership skills—all while having fun

Join Today! Email kcsa at uiuc.edu or call 217-333-3550.

8.  HELP AT THE IL AFTERSCHOOL NETWORK 22ND ANNUAL CONFERENCE

The Illinois AfterSchool Network needs help to put on its 22nd Annual Conference.  They expect 300 participants at Hawthorne Suites, 101 Trade Centre Drive in Champaign.  You can help in the following ways:

FRIDAY April 18
5 volunteers Friday at Registration Desk
        3 of the 5 could facilitate sessions at 1:15pm
        All stay until 4:15pm

SATURDAY April 19
5 volunteers for Registration Desk
        7:30am to 11:00am

SATURDAY
10 volunteers to facilitate sessions
        9:15am to 4:00pm

Duties:
Register Conference Attendees
Collect Registration Money
Hand Out Conference Packets/Bags
Facilitate in Conference Sessions

Hours:
Friday                  7:30am to 4:45pm
Saturday                9:15am to 4:00pm
Half day shifts preferred

To help out, please contact Judy Hartley at hartley1 at ad.uiuc.edu.

Have a safe week.

Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs
288 Illini Union
Phone: 217-333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/