[Volunteers] OVP Digest for 3/3/2008 to 3/10/2008

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 3 15:42:11 CST 2008

Monday, March 3, 2008
OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERVE
Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign County

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1.  OVP’s Non-Profit & Governmental Career Fair
2.  Special Olympics Polar Plunge (3/8)
3.  Habitat for Humanity’s ULTIMATE FRISBEE TOURNAMENT (Register by 3/16)
4.  Volunteers Needed to Help Elementary School Students
5.  LifeQuest Center in need of web designer
6.  Help with the Carrie Busey Carnival (3/28)
7.  Help at the IL AfterSchool Network 22nd Annual Conference (4/18-19)

  Take two minutes and think about what motivates you to serve, help, advise, volunteer,
  or whatever you call that thing you do.

1.  OVP’S NON-PROFIT & GOVERNMENTAL CAREER FAIR

Meet representatives from a variety of non-profit and government agencies and learn about job and internship opportunities.  National, state, and local agencies will be present.  The non-profit and governmental career fair will be held Monday, March 10th from 11am-3pm in the Illini Rooms in the Illini Union.  See you there!

2.  SPECIAL OLYMPICS POLAR PLUNGE

The Special Olympics Polar Plunge will be held March 8th at Lake of the Woods in Mahomet.  They need volunteers to help with registration and on site logistics the day of the event.  Volunteers will receive a free t-shirt!  Contact Georgeann Kulton at gkulton at soill.org

3.  HABITAT FOR HUMANITY’S ULTIMATE FRISBEE TOURNAMENT

March 29, 10 am on the South Quad Teams of 7 with at least 2 girls. $7 a person.
There will be AWESOME PRIZES and FREE FOOD! Also, design the best team t-shirt and win prizes!! Register your team by March 16 at http://habitat.union.uiuc.edu/H4H   Questions?  Contact Diana at dbaren2 at uiuc.edu .

4.  VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO HELP ELEMENTARY SCHOOL STUDENTS

Thomas Paine Elementary School in Urbana is seeking UIUC undergrads to supervise small groups of students doing PE activities, under the direction of a certified teacher.

When:
 Mondays and Tuesdays from 1:00 –2:30 p.m.

Where:
 Thomas Paine School, 1801 James Cherry Drive, Urbana

Contact:
 Sandy Cooper, Principal at (217) 384-3602 or scooper at usd116.org

5.  LIFEQUEST CENTER IN NEED OF WEB DESIGNER

LifeQuest Center is a faith-based non-profit organization that provides education on managing work and life, healthy vs destructive relationships, etc.  We have recently changed the name of our organization and added a few new services.  We are in desperate need of a new website.  A friend of the Center has donated a very nice web page, but we have no expertise at the Center to build it.

Is there a volunteer graduate student in technology who would be up for the challenge of building a spectacular website for us?  It would be important that the volunteer share in our values as an organization.  You can check out our current website at www.familylifeskills.org to get an idea what we're about.  We would like the ability to update our website often, register clients and receive donations online.

You may contact me with any questions.

Thank you for your consideration:
Connie Glazik-Pierce
Executive Director
LifeQuest Center
217.351.3033
connie at familylifeskills.org

6.  HELP WITH THE CARRIE BUSEY CARNIVAL

The Carrie Busey Carnival is on March 28th from 5 to 8pm.  We can use volunteers for any of these times.
3:00 to 5:00 for setup
5:00 to 8:00 during carnival
8:00 to 9:30 for cleanup

Carrie Busey is on West Kirby in Champaign - about 2 miles off campus.

We will need a total of about 100 volunteers so we can definitely use any help you can offer.  If you have any questions or need more information please let me know.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
Kristian Sargeant
Carrie Busey PTA, Carnival Coordinator
202-1642 or 344-1266, or sargentkr at yahoo.com

7.  HELP AT THE IL AFTERSCHOOL NETWORK 22ND ANNUAL CONFERENCE

The Illinois AfterSchool Network needs help to put on its 22nd Annual Conference.  They expect 300 participants at Hawthorne Suites, 101 Trade Centre Drive in Champaign.  You can help in the following ways:

FRIDAY April 18
5 volunteers Friday at Registration Desk
        3 of the 5 could facilitate sessions at 1:15pm
        All stay until 4:15pm

SATURDAY April 19
5 volunteers for Registration Desk
        7:30am to 11:00am

SATURDAY
10 volunteers to facilitate sessions
        9:15am to 4:00pm

Duties:
Register Conference Attendees
Collect Registration Money
Hand Out Conference Packets/Bags
Facilitate in Conference Sessions

Hours:
Friday                  7:30am to 4:45pm
Saturday                9:15am to 4:00pm
Half day shifts preferred

To help out, please contact Judy Hartley at hartley1 at ad.uiuc.edu.

Have a spunky week.

Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs
288 Illini Union
Phone: 217-333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/