[Volunteers] (no subject)

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at illinois.edu
Wed Jan 28 10:22:41 CST 2009

Wednesday, January 28, 2009
OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERVE
Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign County

TABLE OF CONTENTS
1) S.O.A.R. @B.T.Washington Elementary (training starts week of the 27th)
2) Orpheum Children's Science Museum (January 31)
3) Art for Hope Community Health Center (January 31)
4) Fun Night School Carnival (January 30)
5) Read Across America (March 7)
6) Westview Elementary Fun Fest (March 13)
7) Allerton Allies Natural Areas Restoration (February 7)
8) Habitat for Humanity Spring Break Trips (Apps Due Feb. 4th)

It's easy to make a buck.  It's a lot tougher to make a difference.  ~Tom Brokaw ===============================================================
Up Coming Events:

1) S.O.A.R. @ B. T. Washington Elementary!

The S.O.A.R. after-school tutoring program at B.T. Washington Elementary is looking for enthusiastic and dedicated volunteers to provide homework and reading help to students in grades K-5 who are most in need of extra support.  The program is a collaboration of the Graduate School of Library and Information Science, the College of Education, and Don Moyer Boys and Girls Club. S.O.A.R. (Student Opportunities for After-School Resources) operates from 3:00 to 5:00 every Tuesday through Thursday at the B.T. Washington Elementary School in Champaign. Orientation/training sessions begin the week of January 27!
 If you are interested in volunteering or would like more information, please contact Lila Moore at tutor at education.illinois.edu.

2) Orpheum Children's Science Museum
The Orpheum Children's Science Museum will begin renovations of its 95 year old historic theater in February! In preparations for the restorations we will need to relocate all the items in the auditorium and we need your help! We will be hosting family friendly work Saturday's in January. Volunteers are needed
January 31st 12-4 pm. Please come and bring your friends and family. Wear warm work friendly clothes as the auditorium is unheated. Snacks will be provided. For questions or to RSVP please send an email to Meadow Jones at meadow.orpheum at gmail.com. See you soon!

3) Art for Hope Community Health Center
Do you love to paint or draw? You are invited to a silent art auction that will take place on January 31, 2009 from 2:30-4:00 PM at the iHotel on campus.  This auction will be a fundraiser for Hope Community Health Center, a free health clinic on the first floor of the Dental Circle at the intersection of Second and Healey in Champaign. In order for this auction to be a success we are asking for help from you as a local artist. We welcome and invite you to donate various medias of art to Art for Hope. Since Hope is a medical facility and healthcare workers (physicians, nurses, therapists, etc) will be attending the auction we also ask for pieces that might inspire them.  Or because we all are affected or know of a loved one who is affected by a medical or psychiatric condition we ask for pieces that inspire people to dedicate their lives to helping others. Please e-mail Christine Knight (cknight3 at illinois.edu) if you are interested in donating, know other who would like to donate, or have any questions.

4) Fun Night School Carnival
Come help kids and families raise money for community schools! Volunteers are needed to help run carnival games and concessions on January 30 at 6:15 pm. Food will be available at the end of the festival for the volunteers. If you are interested in helping please contact Ruthie Counter at rcounter at parkland.edu or (217) 373-3766.

5) Read Across America
Come help us celebrate literacy with the National Education Association's Read Across America!  This is a fun event on Saturday, March 7th, 2009 from 10-2 pm in Lincoln Square Mall in Urbana. Volunteers are needed to staff the event, setup, take down, and help booths with activities for families!  It's easy, fun, and you're helping the community! Please email Shauna Fahl at helpraa at gmail.com if you're interested or have any questions.

6) Westview Elementary School Spring Fun Fest

Remember how exciting going to the fair was when you were a kid? We need students to help run carnival games (balloon toss, cake walk, face painting, fishing pond, etc) for an elementary school carnival.  All volunteers will be provided a meal and be asked to run simple games and pass out prizes.  The fair is on March 13th from 6-8:30 pm. To volunteer, please contact Kelly Hill @ 217-369-8723 or kellykhill4 at hotmail.com

7) Allerton Allies Natural Areas Restoration

Do you have a passion for the environment? Do you enjoy working outside with plants? Come help restore Allerton to it’s natural beauty! Volunteers are needed on the following dates:
February 7, March 7, April 4, May 2, and June 6 from 9 AM – Noon. Please contact Kim Petzing
at allertonvolunteer at ad.uiuc.edu or 217-333-3287 for more information.

8) HABITAT FOR HUMANITY SPRING BREAK TRIPS

Want to help build houses for those in need? H4H is hosting three trips over this year’s spring break so that U of I students can experience the exhilarating opportunity of both building a house and helping out a family in need.  We will be sending groups to Pontiac County Mississippi, Blount County Tennessee, and Hancock County Mississippi.  So gather together $75 for the deposit, and use your great persuasion skills to convince whomever needs convincing to let you go!

The total trip price is $200, and we will be fundraising to help cover the cost.  Lodging is included, and almost all meals are provided.

Deadlines:
Feb. 4th- Hand in filled out form and $75 to
the Habitat Office in the RSO Complex in the Union.
It is on the second floor, room 266. If there is no one there,
please slide the form under the door.

Feb. 15th- remaining $125 to be turned in.

For an application or more information, email Stephanie:  snugent2 at illinois.edu or visit www.uiuchabitat.org

Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs
288 Illini Union
Phone: 217-333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/