[BfB(oG)] Fwd: [illinoisgreens] One Arrested Philly Protesters Eye Witness Account

Jim Buell jbuell at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 8 15:47:22 CDT 2000

News from Philly continues to be mildly horrific - and absent from the
mainstream press. This was just forwarded to the Illinoisgreens list, and
I've seen quite a few similar accounts on the web the last couple days.

It's becoming evident that the cops' response was and is flagrantly out of
proportion to the protesters' actions (esp. the mass arrests inside the
puppet factory detailed in this note, the conditions in the jails, and the
million-dollar bail on misdemeanor charges for 2 supposed ringleaders).
Note the suggestions below for contacting officials there and for
contributing to the legal defense. Any thoughts on what might be worth
doing locally as a group?

Jim Buell
jbuell at uiuc.edu
graduate student in Ed Psych, UIUC