[BfB(oG)] Re: [prairiegreens] more facts for Billionaires

Milt Epstein mepstein at uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 30 11:12:25 CDT 2000

This note brings up a couple of peripheral issues I wanted to mention.

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Jim Buell wrote:

[ ... ]
> Written by a former aide to Dick Armey who's also worked for the
> Heritage Foundation and the National Review of all places - and a UI
> grad no less!  Why, he even savages the ethanol subsidy that's
> helping our esteemed brother Dwayne Andreas up the road at ADM
> recover a bit of his dignity, following that embarrassing $100
> billion fine for cornering the world lysine market. Shameless.

What do people think of ADM being a big (I believe) supporter of PBS?
I cringe every time I hear them mentioned as one of the contributors
for a program.  (For that matter, I think the statements PBS makes for
contributors -- especially corporate ones, of course -- are too long
and commercial-like.)

[ ... ]
> --------------------------------------------------------------------<e|-
> Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
> 1. Fill in the brief application
> --------------------------------------------------------------------|e>-

On a similar note, every time I read the notes on this list and see
the ad at the bottom, I have this reaction that somehow it's
inconsistent with the values this group stands for.  Surely there must
be a better alternative, another place this list can be hosted.
Prairienet, perhaps?

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
mepstein at uiuc.edu