[Bod-fundraising] Fundraising committee meeting notes from today 1.17.12

Danielle Chynoweth danielle at prometheusradio.org
Wed Jan 18 00:51:58 CST 2012

One handed, baby in lap meeting notes from today's meeting. Attendees,
please correct any inaccuracies:

NEXT MEETING
Mark your calendars. *Our next meeting is Thursday, Feb 16 from 5 - 6:30
pm.

*EMAIL
If you want to email everyone on the fundraising committee, you can do so
by emailing:  bod-fundraising at lists.chambana.net.

SUSTAINERS
The sustainers committee has been merged with the board's fundraising
committee to continue that work. Anyone who donated in response to the
appeal by the sustainers committee will continue to have their
contributions earmarked for the purposes promised by that committee.

We mailed out an appeal to all the sustainers who gave last year asking to
renew their contribution.
--> Durl - can you tell us how much has been collected in response?

ANNUAL APPEAL
*We made $1,830 from our annual online appeal from 18 donors.* Of that
$1,000 came from one donor - Ben Galewsky. The appeal went to 3155 members
and contacts in our database. 20% opened. 9% bounced. 7% clicked a link. 1%
unsubscribed. We need to thank these donors - I will bring thank yous to
the board meeting for us to sign.

GRANTS
Danielle reviewed current and past grants, and we discussed prospective
grants.
Grant applications and reports are stored on the IMC internal wiki website
here:
http://wiki.ucimc.org/bin/view/Finance/GrantApplications

Current grants:

   - *AmeriCorps*: ~150K, 3 year grant, reapplied Nov 2011 for another 3
   years.
   - *Illinois Arts Council*: ~7K for general support received annually
   since 2006. App due mid April, report due Sept. Program Officer loves us
   and is willing to come down and meet with other foundations on site and
   talk about why he supports our work.
   - *City of Urbana Social Service
Grant<http://urbanaillinois.us/posts/2010/03/consolidated-social-service-funding-applications-now-available>for
Indymedia & Arts Lab
   *: ~5K annually. App due April 9th. Required meeting March 9th.
   - *City of Urbana Public Arts Grants*: handful of thousands for various
   projects available annually. Apps were due Jan 10th. In 2012 folks applied
   for $ for Children's Art Festival, Mini maker faire, and Zine fest.

Previous grants that we should consider applying for again:

   - Funding Exchange <http://fex.org/grantmaking>: Letters of Intent due
   in Sept
   - PACA historic preservation grant
   - Union Community Fund - not sure if this still exists
   - Community Foundation (of CU) - likes to fund equipment

Prospective funders:

   - FEMA & disaster preparedness funders - Conrad is researching
   - Media Democracy Fund - for work impacting media policy or national
   infrastructure - app due in Sept but need to discuss with program officer
   by late Spring - Danielle is working on a pitch
   - Dept of Commerce and Economic Opportunity - to fund media training as
   workforce development and training - Carol is tracking
   - Lumpkin Family Foundation - regional foundation who we have some
   relationship with - Chris R is reaching out to
   - City of Urbana TIF funds - for window restoration & accessibility
   improvements - Danielle is sheperding and looking for a partner in this.

OTHER SOURCES OF FUNDING

   - Fee for service - media training for labor unions that could subsidize
   other training - Danielle will check with ILIR since they don't offer this
   training but used to
   - Space rentals - more campus/community conferences paid by departments
   - Ken is exploring
   - Donors who support our work but haven't been asked - Belden is
   reaching out to campus faculty in likeminded departments like ICR.
   - Exhibits
   - Regular uses like People's Potluck
   - Outreach to ethnic groups for events
   - Feature on McChesney Show - Belden is making connection

FUNDING NEEDS - MOST IMMEDIATE
We discussed but did not make a formal decision on these priorities:

   - Media training curriculum
   - RFU tower fund
   - Window restoration
   - Accessibility improvements
   - Want to know priority needs of various working groups

EXPANDING OUR COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP

We would like reps from each working group on our fundraising committee.
Here are prospective members and who is going to approach whom:

   - Barbara Kessel - B2P - Conrad
   - Suzanne Linder - B2P and Makerspace - Danielle
   - James Kilgore - Ken
   - Geri Kirchner - Danielle already did and she said she would help with
   e-appeals
   - Julianne P - SDAS - Danielle
   - Maggie Taylor - Danielle

cheers!