[Community] Re: [UCIMC-Finance] separating the issues (signage and steering)

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 16 18:46:17 CDT 2009

Elizabeth,
Thanks for the clarification on process at the last Steering meeting.
Getting to a decision that reflects everyone's concerns is a matter of
paying attention as much what we know about the concerns of those not
there as it is making sure everyone there was OK with things. It was the
questions that didn't come up that are the issue for me. We shouldn't
presume that this has been done based solely on those present for many
issues.

I used to spend a lot of time doing that when I was more involved with
Steering. Others also did, but it's never been something that had a
formal process. Given the increasingly diverse and different orbits and
groups that people now circulate within and the fact that Steering is
only once a month, I think you're right that some attention needs to be
given to that.

We'll always have the need for emergency situations, so something that
does let that go ahead needs to be included. Certainly the signage
wasn't something that needed such attention, given we've taken 4 years
to get to this point on it.

On the other hand, a day or so's notice through a rather vaguely worded
email really isn't sufficient. This is not at all to say that Chris
didn't follow existing policy, it's just that we need to make some
changes and improvements. For instance, with clear notice about what was
to come up would've gotten me there for the last meeting and saved us
all a lot of typing and headaches.

My concerns remain that the subsignage be dealt with. Certainly no need
for emergency Steering meeting. Chris said in a separate mail that he'll
be at Finance on Thursday, so I think my remaining concerns will be
addressed then. I'll be OK to proceed at that point and I think that
those who also may have had concerns will have been given a chance to
have input. Maybe a notice to the IMC list that we'll be discussing the
issues could get anyone with concerns there.
Mike Lehman