[Community] Re: Fwd: RFU

Elizabeth Simpson elizacorps at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 14 13:30:37 CDT 2009

Hi all,

I went to talk with the Americorps yesterday, and Carly filled us in on this. Afterward, she realized community connections should be involved, and so emailed me.

First, I want to STRONGLY suggest that this issue not be kept within a few 'chosen' people, or finance, but be put to the spokes list instead, where it belongs. This will help stabilize the spokes/steering infrastructure as well as create greater accountability and access. At time people and groups legitimately feel out of the loop exactly for the reason that it doesn't go through channels (which, admittedly were sketchy before, but now exist)

I'm not sure what's happened so far in response to this, but clearly there is a misconception of RFU's role in IMC decisions via steering, both historically (e.g. RFU was represented, or could have been, at the steering meetings where this stuff went down) and in the future.

Of course, along with all of this is the clear need to heal/strengthen the relations between members of working groups and the idea of the IMC.

Community connections is meeting today at 6. This could be a great place to address this stuff.

Be well,
elizaBeth

I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.

-Harriet Tubman