[Community] Fwd: iHelp 2010 Details

Nicole Pion nicole at ucimc.org
Sun Aug 29 18:42:30 CDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lauren Michels <lauren.michels90 at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 6:01 PM
Subject: iHelp 2010 Details

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to you regarding participation in the University of Illinois'
Homecoming Volunteer Project called iHelp.  This year, it will take place on
*Saturday, October 16, 2010*.  We would love to send students to your
agency/organization to help you in any way possible.  Here are more details:

iHelp is a one-day volunteer project organized by the U of I Student Alumni
Ambassadors that sends more than 1,500 University of Illinois students into
the community to help with a variety of different activities.  This day of
service not only offers assistance in large numbers but also unites students
all over campus and creates a positive impact within the Champaign-Urbana
community.

I am writing to see if your agency/organization would be interested in
hosting a group of students.  We encourage agencies to "think outside of the
box" with projects that they might not normally be able to complete, but
with a large group of students, could get done or improved within a a 2-3
hour range since students will volunteer approximately from *10am-1pm*.
 These projects include painting, grounds clean-ups, group projects, or
other tasks like stuffing envelopes or helping at an event.  More
importantly, this is a great opportunity to recruit student volunteers for
your agency as well as educate college students about the C-U community and
the services that you offer.

It is a possibility that another student group will contact you about
creating a project for iHelp.  In order to avoid your confusion, we would
like to explain the reason for this.  Starting this year, student groups
have the option of creating their own project for the day of iHelp.  In the
case that an organization decides to ask your agency/organization to be a
partner, we ask that you first prioritize the primary project for which we
are contacting you.

The best way to ensure the largest number of volunteer opportunities is to
continue to coordinate with the Student Alumni Ambassadors (likely Lauren
Michels or Brittany Koteles).  If you are able to support a secondary project
with a specialized student organization, it is both welcomed and encouraged.

We wanted to give you notice in case you receive multiple contacts, and we
apologize for any confusion.

Let me know if you would like to work together with us on this great event
by filling out the google document that I will send in a following email.
 We would appreciate your response by September 11th. Please feel free to
email me with any questions or concerns.

With your assistance, iHelp will continue to make a difference in the
Champaign-Urbana community, and I thank you in advance for your time and
consideration.

Sincerely,

Lauren Michels
iHelp Co-Director