[Community] asking permission from working groups

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 20:51:16 CDT 2010

Hey peeps- what are your thoughts on this email? I'd be sending it to
individual spokes of working groups and contacts of affiliated
organizations like C4A.

-Chris

Dear UCIMC working groups and affiliated organizations,

The UCIMC Community Connections work group is beginning work on a
Resource Guide that pulls together all the services and benefits of
UCIMC membership, the offerings & benefits of each working group and
the same for organizations housed or affiliated in some way with the
UCIMC (such as C4A).

As we were preparing this plan we wanted to make contact with your
working groups through and appropriate listservs. We also are
concerned that messages to lists are often caught in moderation or not
approved. So, we're proposing a solution that may also benefit your
group by improving communication between working groups and associated
groups.

We are proposing that a UCIMC email account be created for any working
group which serves as a shared, inter-group communication
mechanism.This account would be shared by current working group
spokespersons (for example, CommunityConnections at ucimc.org . Each
group would then identify one listserv which would be appropriate to
receive occasional "Announce" emails from all other groups. (for
instance a "keystaff" or "staff" list).

The emails for each working group would be added to the "Accept
Non-Members" filter on each list. This would enable spokes from any
working group to send official UCIMC communications to working groups
without need for list moderator approval. One example would be
communications relating to the monthly Steering Group meeting. Another
would be an emergency building announcement or request. Yet another
example is to communicate about an event or project that seeks
collaboration with all working groups- such as our Resource Guide!

Please let us know your thoughts on this proposal. If there are no
objections, please let us know the most appropriate list for your
working group spokes, and if you would like an email address for
similar communications from your working group.

We are hoping to hear back from you by June 23, 2010.