[Cprb] Urbana Proposal

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 14:17:27 CDT 2003

Hi folks-

If you want my input, as a latecomer to your local
efforts but someone who has been in these things
before, I think John Paul is exactly right.  I haven't
even made it to one of your meetings yet, and for that
I apologize, but from what I understand this effort is
now overwhelmingly white and in danger of becoming a
white thing altogether.  (I know the history, thanks
to John's messages, and I'm not blaming anyone.)  I
just think it's important to remember that multiracial
alliances are notoriously fragile.

Also, white folks - especially can-do activists who
are committed to getting things done - often want to
steam ahead without considering how their
ever-whitening numbers will look to many black people
(that is, what legitimacy their efforts will have
across racial barriers).  I have been known to lose
patience with suggestions of holding off just when the
momentum is building, myself, so I know this kind of
thing is hard to hear.

So I guess what I'm suggesting at this late date --
for what my opinion is worth -- is to at least make a
last-ditch effort to reach out to some black
leaders/groups, especially the NAACP, and let each
decide for themselves whether they can participate or
have too much internal turmoil, etc.  And that
includes, in my mind, those who haven't really seemed
interested in the past.

The opportunity may not come again.

My two cents,
Ricky