[Cprb] Re: Chuck D to speak at Foellinger

Ken Urban kurban at parkland.edu
Tue Apr 6 14:23:09 CDT 2004

Imani,

(1) I'm outta my league here.

(2) This works in perfectly with our plans to get citizen police review
boards in Urbana, Champaign, the U of I and Champaign County.  We're
using Chuck D as a kickoff for publicity for the coalition.  A black
perspectives show will be even better!

We don't think we stand a chance of winning at the Champaign City
Council, so we're planning on a ballot initiative in either November or
April in Champaign asking the City Council to adopt a CPRB.  We have the
votes in Urbana, we're just collecting popular support at this time.
Additionally Urbana won't go for it if we don't have a plan for
Champaign.

I've CC'ed the listserver on this reply, there's a meeting tonight at
7pm at the IDF,  I'm covering for someone, and won't make the meeting,
but I know someone will have some ideas for you.  You are certainly
welcome to attend!

Also, there's a benefit dinner with Chuck D right after the show ...
you interested in going?

You're also welcome to join the cprb listserver if you wish.

Ken

Ken Urban
Assoc. Prof., Computer Science
Parkland College

Office: B129A
           (217)-353-2246

>>> Imani Bazzell 4/6/2004 1:59:37 PM >>>
Ken Thanks.  Two things:
(1) I was really, really alarmed at the confused nonsense coming out of
KRS-One's mouth during his Afro Studies and Research conference
presentation this past Saturday.  He thinks/speaks very highly of Chuck
D, so I'm a little concerned--but probably shouldn't be.  Just wanted to
put that out there.  He was wacked!! and I'm hoping Chuck D isn't.
(2) I'm planning to do a Black Perspectives follow up to the Tasers
special we ran last Sunday so if anyone has any suggestions or wants to
get in on it, raise your hand.  The idea is to do a piece on what people
want (they didn't want tasers)--Citizen Review Boards.

Thanks,
Imani

>>> Ken Urban 04/06/04 11:58 AM >>>

Please forward!

Chuck D, Legendary Rap and Hip-Hop Artist to Speak at UIUC

Lecture: "Race, Rap, Reality, and Technology"
When: Friday, April 9, 7PM
Where: Foellinger Auditorium, University of Illinois

Campus Greens at the University of Illinois will be hosting legendary
hip-hop artist, Chuck D at Foellinger Auditorium on April 9, 2004 at
7PM. As
leader and co-founder of legendary rap group Public Enemy, Chuck D
redefined
rap music and Hip Hop culture.   His lyrics address issues such as
race,
rap, rage, reality, and inequality.  Chuck D will speak at UIUC about
such
issues as police review, diversity, racial profiling, and progressive
politics.  He has been invited as part of the campaign for police
review in
C-U.  The event is free and open to the public.  For more info e-mail
dsacks at uiuc.edu <mailto:dsacks at uiuc.edu>

Current Co-Sponsors include: Campus Greens at UIUC, Anti-War
Anti-Racism
Effort, Prairie Greens of East Central Illinois, U-C Hip-Hop, Black
Law
Students Association, Student American Civil Liberties Union, National
Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, Student Peace Action,
Visionaries Educating Youth and Adults, and Amnesty International
More info on the Campus Greens - www.uiuc.edu/ro/greens
<http://www.uiuc.edu/ro/greens>
More info on Chuck D -
http://www.kepplerassociates.com/speakers/chuckd.asp