[CUCPJ Announce] [CPRB] When to meet to discuss CPRB?

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 16:25:53 CST 2006

I agree that the week of Jan 7 is probably best.  Any
preferences, folks?  How about Tuesday evening?  About
7pm?  IDF?  I'll set it up if folks agree...

For now, let me just say again that, as a person who
has spent most of his adult life in the labor
movement, I think it is outrageous and ass-backwards
to negotiate public policy with a union before even
proposing language for legislation.  I certainly
support the right of any union to negotiate over any
items that directly affect their work, but not to set
public policy a priori.  That is undemocratic, plain
and simple.

That said, thanks to Danielle for opposing this
particular nonsense.  I think it illustrates the
problem with negotiating before legislating, myself.
I also think we need to seriously consider whether a
cprb is worth it with the restrictions now apparently
in place.

We may face the same dilemma, only moreso in Champaign
soon.

We always discussed the main itms we felt needed to be
part of any cprb for success were:
1. subpoena power
2. independence from the police dept./neutrality,
including a neutral place for intake of complaints
3. the power to hire an independent investigator (and
I think assumed is the authority for the board to
conduct its own investigations, even without hiring an
investigator).
Am I right?  1 & 2 are certainly the most important,
and OK, maybe we can live without an investigator, but
no right for the boatd itself to even investigate?
Disgusting!  Am I really understanding this correctly?

What would it look like in the paper if the group that
has advocated for this reform for the last six years
publicly stated that the form if cprb contemplated by
the council is too limited, too weak and doomed to
failure - and we can't support it - ?

Pissed off -
Ricky