[CUCPJ Announce] [CPRB] When to meet to discuss CPRB?

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 17:00:28 CST 2006

At 04:25 PM 12/28/2006, Ricky Baldwin wrote:

>I agree that the week of Jan 7 is probably best.  Any
>preferences, folks?  How about Tuesday evening?  About
>7pm?  IDF?  I'll set it up if folks agree...

Fine with me.

>For now, let me just say again that, as a person who
>has spent most of his adult life in the labor
>movement, I think it is outrageous and ass-backwards
>to negotiate public policy with a union before even
>proposing language for legislation.  I certainly
>support the right of any union to negotiate over any
>items that directly affect their work, but not to set
>public policy a priori.  That is undemocratic, plain
>and simple.
>
>That said, thanks to Danielle for opposing this
>particular nonsense.  I think it illustrates the
>problem with negotiating before legislating, myself.
>I also think we need to seriously consider whether a
>cprb is worth it with the restrictions now apparently
>in place.
>
>We may face the same dilemma, only moreso in Champaign
>soon.
>
>We always discussed the main itms we felt needed to be
>part of any cprb for success were:
>1. subpoena power
>2. independence from the police dept./neutrality,
>including a neutral place for intake of complaints
>3. the power to hire an independent investigator (and
>I think assumed is the authority for the board to
>conduct its own investigations, even without hiring an
>investigator).
>
>Am I right?

You are absolutely right.  From all the voluminous research we did, those
are the key ingredients to ensure the proper degree of independence from
the police.

>   1 & 2 are certainly the most important,
>and OK, maybe we can live without an investigator, but
>no right for the board itself to even investigate?
>Disgusting!  Am I really understanding this correctly?

I understood Danielle's reply the same way you did.  :-(  I guess we'll
find out more as time goes by.

>What would it look like in the paper if the group that
>has advocated for this reform for the last six years
>publicly stated that the form if cprb contemplated by
>the council is too limited, too weak and doomed to
>failure - and we can't support it - ?

I think it would be most effective if the Mayor's own committee went on the
offensive, but only after talking to the Mayor first and getting her take
on matters.

>Pissed off -
>Ricky

Equally upset,