[CPRB] press conference

Esther Patt epatt at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 24 09:32:28 CDT 2007

The review board was an initiative of the mayor's that the council put on its list of council goals 2 years ago. The mayor and council should be the focus of press attention on this issue, not us.

Also, meaning to offend no one, I'd also like to point out that people who try to portray everything they don't like as left-wing radicalism are trying to portray the review board as a creation of the lefties at the IMC who have pressured the council to do their bidding. Hence, we would not be helping our supporters on the council by holding a press conference taking the attention away from them, nor would we be helping our supporters on the council by holding a press conference to point out the shortcomings of the ordinance.  So, while I'm not opposed to a press conference, I don't see it as a valuable strategy.  Our energies would be better spent, once the Ordinance is passed, getting the word out to the community about people's new rights regarding complaints about the police.
Esther Patt