[CUWiN-Dev] heads up: new mkstaboot features

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Thu Feb 3 22:53:23 CST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 04:39:00PM -0600, Bryan Cribbs wrote:
> It's impossible to restart a build at the 'patch' step.
> Even though -N tells patch to skip patches that look like
> they've already been applied, it still exits non-zero.
>
> Would it be acceptable to remove '|| exit 1' from this step?

Eek.  I don't want to lose the error-checking in the patch step.

Usually patch(1) leaves .orig files, which mkstaboot removes, iirc.
I think that since we use metalogs, there's no need to remove them.
I propose you get rid of the deletion step, and see if the .orig files
end up on the boot media.  If not, then give this algorithm a shot:

1 For each file $F.orig, compare its mtime with $F.  If $F is newer than
  $F.orig, then it's (presumably) been reinstalled, so remove $F.orig.
  If $F is older than $F.orig (see step #3), then rename $F.orig to $F.

2 Patch the files.

3 touch(1) all of the .orig files.

I *think* that will ensure the idempotence of the patch step, without
losing the error-checking.