[CUWiN-Dev] introduction

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Wed May 18 17:54:03 CDT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 08:39:49PM -0500, Quantum Scientific wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 May 2005 18:56, Sean Fioritto wrote:
> > I felt an introduction was due. My name is Sean Fioritto.
>
> Welcome to the community Sean.
>
> What would you think about helping us decide which captive portal to use?
> This would involve researching the three candidates (NoCatSplash, ChilliSpot,
> WiFiDog) and distilling their attributes into a comprehensive table and
> executive summary, for comparison and evaluation.  Important factors are
> footprint, features, security, and overhead (dependencies).
>
> Captive portal is an important function.

Executive Summary
--------- -------

        Let's give WiFiDog a shot.

Rationale
---------

        WiFiDog will add a valuable option to the CUWiN distribution.
        I just got back Sunday from Ottawa, ON, where I attended BSDCan
        2005 (www.bsdcan.org).  Mina Naguib presented the work of the
        Montreal wireless group, ilesansfil.org, especially WiFiDog and
        its back-end.  I was impressed with Ile Sans Fil does to provide
        community- and locale-specific information through their portal,
        and I want for us to duplicate that on our network.  I feel very
        confident in the design decisions Mina has made for WiFiDog.
        He did not think that a port to any BSD would be difficult.

Plan
----

Here is what I propose for Sean to do, in roughly this order:

        (1) Look at what WiFiDog is missing that NoCatSplash and
            ChilliSpot have.

        (2) Stop; make a decision whether or not to proceed with step #3.

        (3) Pull WiFiDog into CUWiN on a vendor branch.

        (4) Port WiFiDog to NetBSD/IPFilter---careful, do not duplicate
            anybody's work!

        (5) Send patches back to Ile Sans Fil.

        (6) Do a reachover build of WiFiDog.

I would like for there to be documentation of steps (3), (5), and (6).
Bryan Cribbs (bdcribbs at ojctech.com) and I (dyoung at pobox.com) have both
executed all of these steps more than once, so just ask.