[CUWiN-Dev] fyi: wireless wiki abuse

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Mon Nov 14 01:04:13 CST 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 09:45:03PM -0600, Chase Phillips wrote:
> The wireless wiki at http://wiki.cuwireless.net/wirelessWiki/FrontPage has
> been abused.  The site has been transformed to contain links to bogus
> websites.  Other affected pages include
> http://wiki.cuwireless.net/wirelessWiki/RecentChanges and the summit
> pages.  Possibly the entirety of the wiki is affected. :(
>
> Is anyone available to maintain the wiki?  If not, I recommend it be
> disabled until someone volunteers to do so.  Another option is to roll the
> wiki back to a known-good state and then lock it for changes until we
> find a suitable volunteer to take care of it.

Speaking of spam....  As long as somebody is working on the joke we
call the C-U Wireless website, they might turn off the distracting and
strange left sidebar, which contains such germane titles as these:

    * San Francisco
    * PhD Comics
    * Rock Band Instruments
    * Live West Wing
    * Brownie, You Sure do Email Alot
    * Judge Alito and Porn
    * PGA Tour and NASCAR
    * ExxonMobil
    * The Infamous Hundy
    * Interesting Statistic
    * Furman to Semesters
    * Perjury
    * Balding Ponytail
    * Redneck Sudoku
    * Tech Emergency Response

The discussion forums can also go.  The discussion forums are so
nearly empty, one person is moved to write on them, "The postings here
seem rather spotty. I'm wondering if this means that the interest in
muniwireless is losing steam...  and losing steam because if price
cutting by SBC."  Sean responds, "It is likely that responses and
activity in this forum have dropped because CUWIN is focusing their
energy on their software development and not because the municipal
wireless movement is dying."  Actually, the activity drops because the
web discussion forums are perfectly redundant with the mailing lists;
developers scarcely read them.  My recommendation: make the right sidebar
refer readers to our mailing lists and archives, and ditch the forums.