[CUWiN-Dev] fyi: wireless wiki abuse

Haudy Kazemi kaze0010 at umn.edu
Wed Nov 16 14:45:18 CST 2005

>The discussion forums can also go.  The discussion forums are so
>nearly empty, one person is moved to write on them, "The postings here
>seem rather spotty. I'm wondering if this means that the interest in
>muniwireless is losing steam...  and losing steam because if price
>cutting by SBC."  Sean responds, "It is likely that responses and
>activity in this forum have dropped because CUWIN is focusing their
>energy on their software development and not because the municipal
>wireless movement is dying."  Actually, the activity drops because the
>web discussion forums are perfectly redundant with the mailing lists;
>developers scarcely read them.  My recommendation: make the right sidebar
>refer readers to our mailing lists and archives, and ditch the forums.

I prefer mailing lists + searchable archives instead of forums.  For cases
where forums are desired, I like forums to have mail2forum and forum2mail
gateways so that people can follow and respond to forum threads either via
email or via a website.  I know there are (free) gateway addons for the
phpBB forum.  Also, rather than actually removing the (minimally used)
forum, I'd recommend disabling any additional postings and suggest that
people go to the mailing list instead.  My opinion is that the posts in the
forum should remain online, and not be directed to the bit bucket (digital
dustbin).  (Actually I hold that opinion about most online material, as I
really dislike broken URLs and references to materials once available but
no longer available online).

-Haudy Kazemi