[CUWiN-Dev] WRT54G vs. Linksys WGT634U:

Bob Keyes bob at sinister.com
Tue Nov 22 17:01:09 CST 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Sascha Meinrath wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience (or have any thoughts about) the WGT634U?  Is this
> a better platform for CUWiN porting than the WRT54G?

I have been using the WGT634U for some time, working on the OpenWRT port
to it. The problem is, the wgt634u support is in the development tree and
there are constantly things that are fixed, which take some time to get
repaired. I think the OpenWRT people may have overextended themselves and
do not have the time and resources to test patches on the netgear unit.

I am considering forking the code in order to have some sort of working
and stable code base. I hope this can be avoided.

The other problem is loading openwrt onto these units requires a serial
cable, and taking the PC out of the enclosure. This is inconvenient for
many people. I have some ideas on how to solve this, but haven't had
enthusiastic support from the OpenWRT developers.

That aside, the unit is impressive: 32mb of ram, 8mb of ram, atheros card
in a mini-pci slot, usb2.0.