[CUWiN-Dev] status of RouteViz? Google maps?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sun Oct 2 15:51:25 CDT 2005

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 02:54:38PM -0500, Sascha Meinrath wrote:
> Hi Sean & Chase & Tom (et al.),
>
> It sounds like there's interest in integrating the Wiki and Google Map info
> --
> which would be awesome.  Sean has done a bunch of work on this -- perhaps
> him, Chase and Tom can get this situated?  Also, we should standardize the
> info with CNT folks -- think "one big map" -- where we can put all CUWiN
> nodes that want to be listed.
>
> tom wrote:
> >On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 03:03 -0700, Sean Fioritto wrote:
> >
> >>Here is what I have so far:
> >>
> >>www.meshsandbox.com/cuwin.html
> >
> >That looks pretty good! So just to be clear, this is all based on a list
> >independent of the wiki, right? It's been populated with similar
> >entries, but that's just to get started? It might be useful to actually
> >link it directly the wiki, because otherwise we're editing two different
> >sources with the same information.
>
> I would agree -- we need a single location to put info where different
> information can be drawn into a map.  It doesn't need to be the wiki -- but
> it should be a secure location.  Basically, we need one map that just has
> addresses and node status (e.g., "Internet connected," "operational but not
> connected," "broken," and "potential node location") and another that has
> this information plus contact info for each location (and is behind
> password protection).

Public node information belongs in Subversion under cuw/trunk/doc/local/.
Private node information belongs under cuw/private-trunk/doc/local/.
Use one file per record, "primary key" being the record filename,
in RFC822-like (email) format, with free-form notes at the bottom.
This format is both human-readable and machine-readable, adding new
fields to the format is trivial, and we don't have to invent a new way
to disseminate the information: we can use Subversion like we always have
to disseminate the public/private information in a secure way.  Example:

Equipment: WRAP Box
Equipment-owner: CUWiN
Coordinates: 40N, 88W
IP-Addresses: 10.0.186.29/16, 10.116.49/24
Network-membership: racestreet
Internet-connected: no
Host: David Young
Street-Address: 704 South Broadway Avenue Apt. 2, Urbana, IL, 61801

free-form notes free-form notes free-form notes