[CUWiN-Dev] Cofigs for CUWiN deployments in Ghana:

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Tue Oct 4 15:46:41 CDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 09:37:32AM -0500, Sascha Meinrath wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Great news, John Atkinson <john.atkinson at gmail.com> is deploying
> CUWiN-based technology in a couple locations in Ghana.  He's fairly
> tech-savvy and just needs a bit of support from our -dev team -- in
> particular, he's having trouble creating configured .iso images for two
> locations in Ghana.  Could someone spend a few minutes creating the .isos
> to these specs & let him know where he can download them?

These configurations are identical apart from the dhcpselect mode,
and if John lets dhcpselect choose, he can have just one configuration.
John, is there any reason not to use just one configuration?

> # cuw_config set for CBLIT's Akwapim Network: main Internet-connected node$
> cuw_config_channel='7'
> cuw_config_dhcpselect_mode='client'
> cuw_config_hostname='acrc'
> cuw_config_latitude='0'
> cuw_config_longitude='0'
> cuw_config_nameservers='192.168.70.10 192.168.230.70'
> cuw_config_ssid='blitc.net'
>
> # cuw_config set for CBLIT's Akwapim Network: subscriber/infrastructure
> node$
> cuw_config_channel='7'
> cuw_config_dhcpselect_mode='server'
> cuw_config_hostname='acrc'
> cuw_config_latitude='0'
> cuw_config_longitude='0'
> cuw_config_nameservers='192.168.70.10 192.168.230.70'
> cuw_config_ssid='blitc.net'
>
> Let me & John know if there's any questions.  Also, are there
> easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions for creating your own .iso
> anywhere that I can refer people to?

I've added brief instructions for .iso here:

        http://svn.cuwireless.net/svn/cuw/trunk/doc/local/building

Here is a recipe for John's ISOs:

        1 Create an empty directory, john-extras.

        2 Create a file under that directory, john-extras/log.

        3 Copy the /etc/cuw_config line in trunk/src/boot-image/extras/log
          to john-extras/log.

        4 Copy John's configuration file to john-extras/etc/cuw_config.

        5 Create the ISO,
          ./buildiso -- -s [[john's netbsd sources]] -b [[scratch directory]] \
              -E john-extras

> If so, let me know (because I'm a bit
> confused by the "cuw_config_dhcpselect_mode" item and want to learn more
> about how configuration works).  Finally, are there any plans to reduce the
> kernel size so that we can have a bootstrap floppy image again?  Or is this
> no longer doable?

It is a rare computer, today, that cannot boot a CD-ROM.  I hate to
spend a lot of time supporting a rare use-case.  If I hear from John
that his equipment definitely cannot boot a CD-ROM, I will do what I
can to support him.