[CUWiN-Dev] Re: [Cu-wireless-response] NOMESH SSID and Stockholm

Bill Comisky bcomisky at pobox.com
Tue Oct 18 15:46:37 CDT 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Sascha Meinrath wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> William Waites wrote:
>>  Just wondering. I'm looking at the node list on the Wiki, and there are a
>>  bunch of cut-and-pasted outputs from ifconfig(1). On the ath0 interfaces,
>>  some of them have an SSID of cuwireless.net, and some have nomesh.net. Now
>>  these interfaces are running in Ad-hoc mode, so the SSID doesn't really
>>  matter operationally, but maybe it would be nice to have it consistent...
>>
>>  Is there any possibility of remote management of these routers at this
>>  point? I'd be happy to ssh in and fix trivial stuff like this...
>
> I've cc-ed the CUWiN Development e-mail list since folks on there will know
> if the SSIDs will cause problems -- my understanding is that you'll want to
> standardize on _one_ SSID otherwise you'll end up with 2 separate networks;
> could someone send along a definitive answer on that?  Meanwhile, if there
> are specific questions that need answering, definitely drop a line to the
> -dev list -- it might be good for a couple of folks who are working on the
> deployment to get on that list since you can get answers pretty quickly to
> most questions.

Yes, you will need the same SSID for them to connect to each other
wirelessly.  I had this scenario (2 CUWIN networks with 2 different SSIDs)
set up in the lab once, and they did manage to route to each other through
their gateways which were on the same LAN (and that seemed magically
cool).

You can change the SSID through the web-interface, editing the
/permanent/etc/cuw_config file (need to mount read-write then mount
read-only afterwards) and rebooting, or by upgrading to an image that has
the cuw_config file already set correctly.

I've been working on some CUWiN HOWTO docs (see below) which I'll try to
get on the cuwireless site soon.

http://flatiron.cntwireless.org/cuwin/HOWTO/

Bill

--