[CUWiN-Dev] imc node bit it in the storm?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sat Oct 22 01:45:46 CDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 11:58:01PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> The node put up at IMC during hack night is not reading any stations
> except those in the building.  It started getting flaky during a downpour
> yesterday, so I'm afraid its insides got "moisturized."

I just looked at the node, and the cable gland has come off the bottom of
the box.  Maybe the ethernet cable inside the box (which has a loop for
strain relief, thank goodness) crimped or knocked lose the pigtail with
the wind tugging it, and that killed the radio performance.  There might
also be condensation.

It was thoughtful to stick the ethernet cable to the masonry with black
goo to immobilize it.  Whoever did that, thanks.  It ought to have been
stuck to the masonry at the edge of the roof where the wind is going to
saw it back and forth until the vinyl jacket is cut through.

The ethernet cable comes into the building through a window that's
cracked open.  That cannot last.  Also, I know from past experience in
this building that we need a lightning arrestor between the node and
the indoor data/electrical wiring.

If somebody wants to make a go at a more permanent installation at IMC,
give me a call.  I suggest planning ahead, working in the daylight, and
making sure you know the way down from the roof before you climb up there.
I can help you with all of those things.

Mom