[CUWiN-Dev] imc node bit it in the storm?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sun Oct 23 21:15:45 CDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 01:45:46AM -0500, David Young wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 11:58:01PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> > The node put up at IMC during hack night is not reading any stations
> > except those in the building.  It started getting flaky during a downpour
> > yesterday, so I'm afraid its insides got "moisturized."
>
> I just looked at the node, and the cable gland has come off the bottom of
> the box.  Maybe the ethernet cable inside the box (which has a loop for
> strain relief, thank goodness) crimped or knocked lose the pigtail with
> the wind tugging it, and that killed the radio performance.  There might
> also be condensation.

Kristjan Onu and I prepared a new node today and used it to replace
the old.  Our new installation is much more permanent (we brought the
ethernet through a vent instead of through a window), but there is a
little work remaining---mainly sticking the new cable to the roof.

The old node was dry as a bone inside, *except* for a drop of water
where the pigtail cable meets the bulkhead connector.  The "radome" on
the antenna was loose.  It came off effortlessly.  There was a little
bit of water in the base of the antenna.  I wonder if the radio cable
did not wick water that came in through the antenna into the box?