[CUWiN-Dev] Re: address assignment

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sat Sep 3 14:06:18 CDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 10:03:02AM -0500, Seth Price wrote:
> What confuses me is what is the difference between the 169.254.A.B
> address and the 10.0.A.B address? Why are they both needed?

The 169.254 address is for link-local traffic, chiefly routing messages.
The 10.0 address is for all other traffic.  I had to break things down
that way because the kernel really does not like to contain both a route
with a link-local nexthop and an IP nexthop at once.  This has to do
with the integrated ARP/routing table.

> Are
> different As and Bs chosen for each just to confuse people?

Yes, exactly.

Seriously, I can use the same A and B, and I probably will start to do
that, soon.  In fact, I will stop hashing the MAC.  I will use the last
two octets of the MAC, instead.