[CUWiN-Dev] rfc: fixed bssid

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Mon Sep 5 14:23:16 CDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 01:45:32PM -0400, Stephen Ronan wrote:
> David Young wrote (July 27):
>
> >We continue to have problems with IBSS splits in networks with Intersil
> >Prism nodes.  As a stopgap measure, I am considering fixing CUWiN nodes'
> >BSSID to the oh-so-clever 02:63:75:77:69:6e.
> >
> >This means that we will not reliably interoperate with Intersil Prism
> >nodes, or any other nodes that induce IBSS splits: Aironet? Lucent?
> >That might not be bad at all.  I think I can restore interoperability
> >with a more permanent future fix.
> >
> >Thoughts?
> >
> >Dave
>
> Is this issue something that it would be helpful to take up with any
> standards setting bodies at this point?
> I ran across this interesting 2002 exchange on the subject in which you
> participated, David:
> http://lists.bawug.org/pipermail/wireless/2002-August/022779.html
>
> and, while it's not a matter that I understand all that well, I wonder
> whether the situation has changed much in regard to the possibilities
> for establishment of helpful standards since then.

There is a helpful standard for IBSS coalescence, the WiFi standard
by WECA.  It has been around for a long time.  The rule is that you join
the "oldest" network, as judged by comparing the Time Synchronization
Function, the 64-bit microsecond timestamp carried by 802.11 Beacon and
Probe Response packets.