[CUWiN-Dev] cuw_config_backend questions

Bill Comisky bcomisky at pobox.com
Thu Sep 8 11:22:38 CDT 2005

I can see that the root filesystem is mounted read/write in
initialize_config() in /usr/sbin/cuw_config_backend, where it calls
update_cuw_config_{hostname,nameservers}().

After seeing a smokeping plot of a node rebooting every 5-6 minutes all
weekend (only one node up, nothing tickling the watchdog) I started
wondering about flash erase-write cycles (which I admit I know next to
nothing), and whether the initialize_config() function counted for one at
every reboot.  I've seen estimates of 1e4 to 1e6 erase cycles for flash
memory.  At the low end that's a lifetime of about 35 days if you get an
erase cycle every 5 minutes, at the high end its closer to 10 years.

Looking again at initialize_config(), I'm not sure why we need need to
mount -u -w / at all.  The only files modified are in /etc or /var which
are both mfs filesystems.

Am I missing something?

bill

--