[CUWiN-Dev] cuw_config_backend questions

Bill Comisky bcomisky at pobox.com
Tue Sep 13 10:01:04 CDT 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Peter Barry wrote:

> I downloaded and installed release 0.5.8 (including the upgrade). I also
> tried Bill's nightly build of September 9th. Every 5 minutes or so, the
> system reboots itself. How can this be corrected?
>
> Regards --- Peter

When you boot you can:

 	/etc/rc.d/hellowdog stop

or to have it never start at boot:

 	mount -u -w /
 	[edit the /permanent/etc/rc.conf file, changing the
 	 "hellowdog=YES" to "hellowdog=NO"]
 	mount -u -r /

or you can make sure you always have two systems booted to send each other
HSLS Hellos.

Below is Dave Young's description of the function of the watchdog.  The
upshot is that if you only have one HSLS system running, it never receives
Hellos on the wireless interface.

Bill

    I have added a "network watchdog" to the CUWiN station
     software.  The way it works is that every time hslsd receives
     a Hello on the wireless interface, it runs a shell script,
     /usr/sbin/tickle, to "tickle" a shell "watchdog" daemon.
     The "tickling" is rate-limited to once every 15 seconds or
     more.

     As long as the shell daemon, /usr/sbin/hellowdog, is getting
     tickled at least once every 5 minutes, it lays dormant.
     (I realize I'm mixing metaphors here.)  If 5 minutes do
     elapse without a tickle, hellowdog wakes up and tries to
     restart hslsd.  If that doesn't work (because, for example,
     hslsd is already running!), then it puts wdogctl to sleep.
     wdogctl is in charge of tickling the hardware watchdog
     timer.  At most 32 seconds after wdogctl is put to sleep,
     the system will reboot.

     In theory, if the wireless adapter or hslsd goes "out to
     lunch " the network watchdog will bring the router back
     onto the network in 5 minutes plus 32 seconds plus however
     long it takes for the node to reboot.