[CUWiN-Dev] WRAPs & Power Surge Protection:

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Wed Sep 28 11:31:15 CDT 2005

FYI:  apparently, if the WRAP board receives more than 21 Volts to its DC input
is goes kaput.

--Sascha

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:42:12 -0400
From: "Tom DeReggi" <wirelessnews at rapiddsl.net>
Subject: [WISPA] Lightning protecting WRAPs
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless at wispa.org>

What are people doing for WRAP board lightning protection?

Basically the WRAP board has a part that blows up, if it receives more than
21 Volts to its DC input.
So a typical CAT5 Lightning protector that protects the DC pairs at only
35V, 50V or 60V would pretty much be useless for protecting the WRAP over
the DC lines.

Any Protectors on the market that start to clamp at 20V DC?  I'm guessing
most people are just going without lightning protections, and settling for
UPS protection on the AC line?

What about the COAX/antenna side? If installing the WRAP radio up on a
tower, with an external antenna with a 3 foot Caox cable to it, are you
guys, springing for the COAX lighting protector?

For a several 10 ft run down a tower, of course the COAX protection should
be used, but for a 3 ft run?

I like the WRAP boards, but the 21V max tolerance, I think could end up
being a major flaw for wide scale deployment.
What are others finding?  I like the design of the Mikrotik 532's better,
but to standardize on it, I need to know that there is more than one
distributor/reseller of the product nationwide.  Hopefully the production
will improve once the product becomes more mainstream.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

--
Sascha Meinrath
Policy Analyst    *  Project Coordinator  *  President