[CUWiN-Dev] Requirements for CUWiN Configurator: v1.0

Paul Smith paul at cnt.org
Thu Apr 6 12:08:41 CDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 10:37 AM, Chase Phillips wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Thanks for coming up with this list.  It's a great starting point.
> Some
> notes:
>
>   * We should be able to capture both the node's street-wise
> address and
>     its GPS coordinates.
>
>   * I'd like for a node type string to be stored as part of the
>     configuration.  The node type may be "Metrix Mark II" or "Linksys
>     WRT54G".

+1 to both.

>   * If you want to capture "SSH public key" data, are you implying you
>     want to manage user accounts from this interface?  Or is there not
>     much value in being able to add and remove user accounts remotely?

I hadn't thought about administering user accounts from the config
UI, rather I was thinking of the ability to add a public key for
password-less access by monitoring scripts, etc. Perhaps this is not
worth exposing to a UI and is better managed with traditional tools.

> Options for SNMP-enabling nodes:
>
>   * Net-SNMP (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/)
>
>     Their latest release was Jan 2006.  Their site has
> documentation, as
>     well.

I had success setting up a vendor import of Net-SNMP and building it
in the past, but it's broken for me at the moment. If I get it
working again I'll commit.

-Paul

--
Paul Smith