[CUWiN-Dev] Requirements for CUWiN Configurator: v1.0

Chase Phillips shepard at ameth.org
Thu Apr 6 10:37:54 CDT 2006

Paul,

Thanks for coming up with this list.  It's a great starting point.  Some
notes:

  * We should be able to capture both the node's street-wise address and
    its GPS coordinates.

  * I'd like for a node type string to be stored as part of the
    configuration.  The node type may be "Metrix Mark II" or "Linksys
    WRT54G".

  * If you want to capture "SSH public key" data, are you implying you
    want to manage user accounts from this interface?  Or is there not
    much value in being able to add and remove user accounts remotely?

Options for SNMP-enabling nodes:

  * Net-SNMP (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/)

    Their latest release was Jan 2006.  Their site has documentation, as
    well.

  * TinySNMP (http://oasis.frogfoot.net/code/tinysnmp/)

    TinySNMP was created because, according to the TinySNMP site page,
    Net-SNMP was slow, bloated, buggy, and inefficient, although Net-SNMP
    is "probably the most comprehensive SNMP implementation out there."
    TinySNMP, for example, doesn't know about MIBs (which would make it
    much less useful to us).

Do people know of other SNMP systems or have experience with either of
these?

My idea for forward movement is to assume data will be stored in SNMP
MIBs: Review the relevant MIBs to find locations for the data we want to
store/retrieve.  For data that is homeless at the moment, we store it in a
special CUWiN MIB.

Dave, you describe having a filesystem interface for this data.  I agree
this would provide a very simple system to allow config data to be
available to and set by systems running on the node.  Assuming,
though, that there will also be a SNMP server offering that data, offering
it from multiple interfaces poses an interesting challenge.

Does NetBSD have a proc-like facility that could interface with the SNMP
server and offer a directory- and file-based view into the SNMP data?

Chase