[CUWiN-Dev] IBSS Split aka BSSID wars?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Thu Apr 27 14:57:40 CDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 08:52:35PM +0200, Sven-Ola Tuecke wrote:
> This is a "Hello" from Berlin / Germany :)
>
> To my understanding CUWiN is also using AdHoc/IBSS on the wireless side of
> your mesh. Do you have a found a good answer to cope with IBSS splits
> situations? IBSS split should be experienced in every bigger mesh because
> the underlying technology is the same. Basically this happens in mixed
> hardware environments with a lot of different 802.11 protocol stack
> implementations. Or is this unknown in BSD only environments? Sorry if this
> questions sounds dumb, but I can assure you that it isn't.

I have not noticed serious problems with BSSID splits since we eliminated
most of the Intersil Prism II adapters from our network.  Intersil,
Lucent, and Cisco/Aironet adapters were notorious for causing splits.

Some people have protected against splits by forcing a fixed BSSID on
those cards that support it.

In NetBSD, I fixed bugs in the 802.11 layer (net80211) and in the Atheros
driver that would lead to splits.