[CUWiN-Dev] CUWiN Node Map and node information

Ross Musselman rgmussel at cuwireless.net
Thu Aug 3 07:16:28 CDT 2006

Hey Developers!

I wanted to take a second and let you know about what is being planned
for the node map. Right now, the node information on the map isn't
necessarily accurate, the map has no linkages to our private wiki, which
is up-to-date, and is useless if we want or need to distribute
information directly to people in the community who host or own nodes.
It's time to change that....

Chase Phillips and I are going to work together to implement a better
version of the map that is there currently. In particular, we know that
WNMap needs to do the following things:
*Accurately reflect the information we have available to us. For the
public, only the address should be made available; we should be able to
access all the information.
*Provide a text printout of node information, which will be available
for people working in the field.
*We want to be able to access the database to eventually create a
publication distribution list that will us regular contact with all node
hosts.

Are there other things that you think this map and the database behind
it need to do? Let me know by Monday.

The other thing I want to ask you about is which fields you think are
important for the database. Here are the fields that I have thought of :

*Node ID: It is my opinion that for accounting purposes, each node needs
to be numbered. I know that this has been done for a few nodes, but I
know it hasn't for others. We need a numbering convention for this. Any
suggestions? I'll come up with one if not.
*IP
*MAC Address
*Contact Name
*Street Address
*City
*State: this and the following are not immediately important, but if we
are going to create mailing lists from this, it will be important
*Zip Code
*Telephone number
*Email address
*Gateway (yes or no)
*Contribution (dial-up, dsl, cable, T1, commercial grade pipe, monetary,
other)
*Software version
*Installation date
*Installed by
*Last contact
*Last date contacted
*Last action
*Last action date
*Node owner
*Related Grant: important for paperwork purposes
*Priority (yes/no): Is this a priority install?
*Cloud: which cloud does this belong to?
pingable (the node has contacts to other nodes), and connected (the node
has Internet connectivity)

Are there others that I'm missing? Please spend a few minutes thinking
about this, because we would like to do this once and not do it again
for at least a year.

Thanks and I look forward to your input!

Ross