[CUWiN-Dev] Rev. 4085 disappearing default routes

dan blah dan.blah at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 08:20:25 CDT 2006

On 7/19/06, David Young <dyoung at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 11:00:09PM -0400, dan blah wrote:
> > isnt there a switch for that in the upgrade script... to not overwrite
> > the cuw_config.  maybe a default of appending the new cuw_config to
> > the old cuw_config with comments and a reminder at the end of the
> > upgrade stating to check the cuw_config for new changes.
>
> In the interests of giving operators an upgrade path, I think it is
> reasonable for /sbin/upgrade to understand any configuration file that is
> two minor revisions old, or newer, and convert it to the newest format.

agreed as long as the operator is notified of this.  eventually it
would be nice to see a 'smartened' /sbin/upgrade that would (if no
switch was provided for what to do with the cuw_config) do a diff on
the cuw_config and ask the operator what was desired.  more
importantly would just be using the switches to overwrite and letting
people know with new version announcements that cuw_config vars have
changed and require attention.
> nodeconfig should understand any configuration file that is one minor
> revision old, or newer, but no conversion is necessary.  New-style
> configuration variables will override old-style configuration vars,
> but old-style configuration always overrides defaults.  What do you think?

ya this all sounds good to me.

> This is the kind of design decision that ought to be written down.
>
> Dave
>
> --
> David Young             OJC Technologies
> dyoung at ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933

Daniel